Thread: Need motor help 152...

Default Need motor help 152...

I have a 66 Scout with a 152. It is in need of a complete overhaul. It leaks everywhere, gets terrible fuel economy (10mpg) and is very temperamental. When I bought it, it had last been licensed in 1989.

I recently bought a replacement 152 that appeared to be in very good shape. While loading it for transport, the previous owner dropped it off the engine stand. Probably fell 3-4 feel to the concrete floor. There didn't appear to be any major damage. The front pulley and fan were bent but I was able to swap them out with my other engine.

Today I was able to complete the engine swap and it ran like a top for about a minute. Then it died and started pouring coolant out of the exhaust.

Should I expect a blown head gasket or a cracked block?

I am in a tough spot now as this Scout is my daily driver.....

Does anyone in the Spokane area have a spare engine I could buy?

If the leaky engine has good compression, seal up the gaskets and use the carb from the one with the blown gasket/cracked head/whatever. Most likely that was the original problem. You'll need to figure out what the problem is with the fresh one. It may be something easy to fix. Pull the head and look before you make any decisions.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

The leaky engine is toast. needs a complete rebuild. I ended up using the intake, carb, fuel pump, starter, and water pump off the old motor as I know that they all worked fine. It was the bottom end that was bad. Looks like I might have 2 bad bottom ends.

I used black rtv instead of a gasket on the manifold. I heard that might be the problem????

You need to use the gasket, yes. You have the symptoms of somebody who used black RTV instead of a gasket.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    You need to use the gasket, yes. You have the symptoms of somebody who used black RTV instead of a gasket.
    I talked to my buddy who helped me with the instal and we actually did use a gasket instead of the rtv. I was wrong. Looks like its a cracked head....