Thread: 1973 Scout ii with 258 6 cylinder

Default 1973 Scout ii with 258 6 cylinder

Hi everyone...

Wondering if I could get some technical help from you. I have a 1973 Scout ii with a 258 6 cylinder that my daughter is wanting to learn to drive. Problem is, it has no power steering. I'd like to convert (and have a Scout guy loaded with parts), but I can't find anything on PS on a 258. He has pumps, brackets, steering boxes, etc., but they are off of V8's. He seems to think that the 6 banger would need a different bracket, thus my post. He also thought the bracket off a CJ 6 or AMC Eagle 6 might work. I did find an AMC Gremlin at the local salvage yard with power steering and the pump mounted on the passenger side of the engine. That would seem to work well, as my alternator is mounted on the driver's side and there wouldn't be room for the pump.
    Any thoughts, comments, ideas, etc., would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Scotty

The Gremlin might be the same, since the engine vintage is the same. Either way, it should bolt up. I'd take the pump and brackets and give them a try.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks, Allan...thought that might work, too...just thought it kind of odd that my alternator is on the driver's side, when everything I've seen shows it on the passenger side. Either way, the passenger side PS pump might just work.

Scotty