Thread: 75 Scout II timing issue?

Default 75 Scout II timing issue?

My 75 Scout II has a 345 and I think I'm having timing issues. Seems to run pretty well when idling in park and neutral. Once I put it in gear and give it some gas it sputters and backfires out of the carb. I am able to drive it around the neighborhood, but it does this sputtering and backfiring and even stalls sometimes. My mechanic buddy says it sounds like it must be to advanced and that I need to adjust the distributor. He's not sure which way to turn the distributor (doesn't know much about scout's). I am wondering if you guys feel that it is timing issue as well and which way I should turn the distributor to fix the timing. Please help. Thanks guys.
    Old school fan (1990) First time owner (2011)
    75 Scout II
    1978 KZ750 Cafe Racer

Check your firing order (the order is listed 0n the intake manifold. The distributor turn clockwise so you know which direction to go. After you do that then you can time it off of #8 NOT #1 like most engines the cylinder order is 1357 on the driver side 2468 on the passenger side both from front to back
    Last edited by black smokie; 12-10-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks for the info. Got it running shortly after you replied. Does anyone out there know what kind of mileage these 345's get? Would it be better to put a 2 bbl carb back on. Not sure if I mentioned before but I have a 4 bbl Edlebrok adapted down to 2 bbl intake. Truck came this way. Just wanna try and get to best mileage I can. Any suggestions would be great.
    Old school fan (1990) First time owner (2011)
    75 Scout II
    1978 KZ750 Cafe Racer

Fuel economy is affected by getting the air fuel mixture correct throughout the rpm range, having the timing set correctly throughout the rpm range, and having a transmission that doesn't slip. An automatic transmission that does not work properly can cut your MPG from 14-15 down to 5.

The Edelbrok will give you good economy if you stay out of the secondaries, but I have had the best luck with a 300-350-ish cfm 2 barrel Holley.

If I was going to a 4 barrel, I would use the 390 cfm Holley.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak