Thread: Steering Stabilizer install

Default Steering Stabilizer install

I'm trying to install a steering stabilizer in my 75 Scout II and am not sure how to go about it. Just putting in one and its just a basic brand, no special rancho or anything. I have an idea but not sure about the measurements. It's a Dana 44 with no spring lift. Just body lift. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Old school fan (1990) First time owner (2011)
    75 Scout II
    1978 KZ750 Cafe Racer

I suggest you re-think this. If you need to stabilize the steering, you should figure out why before you start making modifications. There's a guy in Bremerton that makes a straight steer brace that fits perfectly on a Scout II because he custom designed it. There are 4 reasons why a scout has squirrelly steering, and a stabilizer doesn't fix any of them, and only helps when there are modifications.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    I suggest you re-think this. If you need to stabilize the steering, you should figure out why before you start making modifications. There's a guy in Bremerton that makes a straight steer brace that fits perfectly on a Scout II because he custom designed it. There are 4 reasons why a scout has squirrelly steering, and a stabilizer doesn't fix any of them, and only helps when there are modifications.
    No problems with steering other than a little play in the wheel. I just thought it needed one cuz it had one when I got it. Granted that was with a really shitty SOA plus the 4" body lift. I thought maybe the play in the wheel might be because of no steering stabilizer. If that isn't the problem, do you have an idea what would be?
    Old school fan (1990) First time owner (2011)
    75 Scout II
    1978 KZ750 Cafe Racer