Thread: SD33T images of turbo connections

Default SD33T images of turbo connections

Hello.

I have a Diesel Scout II from 1975 with a SD33T engine, the turbo seems to be spinning but I guess it has been modified over the years by the previous owner.

I am curious to see what connections I am missing, there is a part missing on the drivers side at the top of the enigine and it has been plugged with a metal shim.

If you have a SD33T engine and some pictures of it with the turbo, could you please post them here in this thread? Top, bottom - really I guess anything would help.

Or if you have any other info about the engine that might be off assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

I have had the car for 2 months and just got it running as I want, so happy with it.

(Posting from Sweden)

/T.

Here's a pic of mine right before it got put back in my truck... I can get more detailed if you tell me what you need.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Two questions

I am not much of a mechanic but I learn as I go on with this project. I have compared the picture you uploaded (thanks so much) with my engine and I have two questions marked A and B.

A.
    This tube looks odd that it is cut in the middle of nowhere. Is it supposed to be connected with something?

B.
    I see that you have a cup of some sort, is it a vent or something in the spot I have my most concern. There is a shim and a smaller hole on mine.

Thanks again.

/T.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The tube on (A) was spliced into my vacuum line for power brakes. There's a 3-way T style connector for that. I fairly certain that on mine I just ran a hose from the turbo to the vacuum advance and left it like that without going to the power brake booster. On (B), that's a vacuum advance for an attachment on the firewall. You should be able to go to a parts store and pick one up; I think the size should be pretty universal as far as Japanese engines go. When I originally got my scout, none of that was hooked up either. I choose not to re-connect any of it, and I still run fine without it.

Default SD33T images of turbo connections

I'll be throwing a turbo charger in my car soon. But thinking of it, a supercharger is so much less maintenance. If you're after power, the turbo has greater power potential.

Quote Originally Posted by okidoki View Post
    I am not much of a mechanic but I learn as I go on with this project. I have compared the picture you uploaded (thanks so much) with my engine and I have two questions marked A and B.

A.
    This tube looks odd that it is cut in the middle of nowhere. Is it supposed to be connected with something?

B.
    I see that you have a cup of some sort, is it a vent or something in the spot I have my most concern. There is a shim and a smaller hole on mine.

Thanks again.

/T.

A is feeding your wast gate for your turbo. some people would run a boots gage off of that/

B is a plate that someone made upi to block off the egr vavle. witch you really do not need. i got more performance out of mine without it. and people will say you really need that. but put it this way cummins did not run anything like for a very long time untill our govt told them too...