Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition lock cylinder striped

Exclamation Ignition lock cylinder striped

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to replace the ignition lock cylinder in my scout II. I stripped it out and now it just turn loosely and wont crank and also the wheel lock wont disengage. if anyone has some info on how to replace it or to just bypass it altogether and get rid of the wheel lock i would be very greatful. thanks

You could always go the easy route and use a slide hammer to pop it out of the column. Or you can pull the ignition switch apart and wire up a push button start. You'll need to buy 2 toggle switches 1 for the coil kill switch and another for the ignition power, you'll also need 1 push button momentary on for the cranking of the motor.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Quote Originally Posted by fbg_bigcountry View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to replace the ignition lock cylinder in my scout II. I stripped it out and now it just turn loosely and wont crank and also the wheel lock wont disengage. if anyone has some info on how to replace it or to just bypass it altogether and get rid of the wheel lock i would be very greatful. thanks
    The steering column in a Scout II is the same as a Camaro or Vega of similar years. Just a standard GM column.

You have to pull the cover for the horn, then remove the big nut, then use a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel. Then you can access the turn signal cam, etc.

It will be pretty obvious from that point what you have to do.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

fbg_bigcountry,

After you do what Allan wrote, you will see a small round window located at the top right corner, under the turn signal. You may need to tap out or drill out the window (carefully) and push the locking pin that holds the keylock in place.
    The "window" is plastic and just a little thiner area of the housing.
    Email if you need some pictures,.. I would have to pull my steering wheel, so it may be a it...
    Best of luck,
    Rob

Thanks, I've gotten the wheel off and the turn signal cam out. I was told that i need to press a button that was just below the cylinder, I did that and tried to pull the ignition cylinder out and it wouldnt pull out. So thats where i am at right now.

And yes some pictures would be very helpful
    Thanks,
    Branden

I left you a PM...

Default Ignition Key Cylinder/Tumbler Removal

Rbelflower (Rob),

You seem to be the resident expert in removing the ignition key cylinder/tumbler. I saw your posts to fbg_bigcountry and jtremain about the ignition cylinder... I have a '74 scout and already took everything a part... looking at the housing now. I have two holes, but putting a small screwdriver in either has the same results.. nothing! I was wondering if you could share your PM with fbg_bigcountry to see if you could shed some light on my situation! I have a picture if you'd like to see what I'm dealing with... send me a PM, for I don't have enough "post" to send a PM or attach my email address! Who is making this rules!!

Thanks in Advance...

Rob Snyder (RSnyder2)

Default Me Too Please!!

Hi guys,
    Can I also have a pic or more of how to get the lock tumbler out of the column? I had new keys made because the original was a bit worn. Either works the door ok but I can't get the ignition switch out of the lock position. Once or twice I got it to go to Acc.

This is a '76 Scout!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Dan

Default Got It - Ignition Cylinder Is Out!

I got it... well not exactly!! I had to resort to a locksmith and $45.00 later! At least now I know and maybe can help answer some questions. My specific problem was because the housing itself. There is not a hole by default... you have to drill (or like the locksmith, pound) the "flashing" to break it open and make the ignition pin accessible. It took him a total of one minute using my own tools and it was out!

I have a picture of mine... and can show where to "break" open the housing to access the ignition pin for release. If anyone needs to know.. drop me a line!
    rfsnyder@knology.net