Thread: No Switchable 12 Volt Supply

Default No Switchable 12 Volt Supply

My 72 Scout II has no switchable 12 volt from turning on the ignition switch. Everything is 12 volt hot with the key off. My heater fan can run and the fuse panel is all hot. I thought the lower portion that is tagged radio, heater motor etc, that is wired from the white and black wire should be switchable. Any ideas.

I'm gonna say that someone re-wired your scout that bypassed the fuse box. Check for wires that don't go through the fuse box that look like they don't belong there. In the meantime, you can always wire in a battery shut-off so you don't drain your battery just by having it sit for a day.

It might be a question of "why" rather than "how" this was done. Could be the key switch or a connection failed and a previous owner rigged it all hot so that it could be used.

If you can turn the ignition off with the key, chances are it was done either by accident or because the PO didn't want to have to turn the key to the RUN position to run the radio or something, and it was easier to just switch it there. That would mean it could be switched back.

A little investigating will give the answer.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

If you are having wiring issues, don't know what goes where and why, maybe its time to rewire? ezwiring.com has some nice kits. I would suggest the 21 circuit.
    Rob