Thread: Tie rod and Drag link removal

Default Tie rod and Drag link removal

What is the easiest way to take both of those off? I have all the nuts off, do i just use some Penetrating blaster and then hit it pretty hard? or is there some trick.

Thanks
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

PB blaster, let it soak 12 hours, a pickle fork and a BFH will do the trick. Worst case is to give it some heat from a blue wrench.

The above has worked for me on several different rigs.

Careful that you don't ruin the threads on your drag link when you hit it to take it off. My last one was so stubborn that it happened to me and I had to get a new one because both studs were ruined.

Got a pickle fork, they came right off! Thanks for the help guys Now i just got drop my axle and put on my d44 perchs and all that fun stuff haha
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

the best way i have found is to heat around the joint which will expand making it looser then with the nut screwed on the tierod flush with the end so you dont screw up the end/threads hammer it off.

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordX View Post
    Got a pickle fork, they came right off! Thanks for the help guys Now i just got drop my axle and put on my d44 perchs and all that fun stuff haha
    Good to hear it. When I replaced mine, I had an axle bearing press kit that came in extremely handy to re-press the drag link back in. Took me about 10 minutes to get both sides where I wanted them. Just in case you haven't gotten everything installed already.