Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud pop and shift when turning

Default Loud pop and shift when turning

I have a 72 Scout II that started making a loud popping clanking sounds when I turn and it seems to be getting worse. It also seems like it shifts a little when it happens. Its probably a stupid question but any suggestions about what it is would be appreciated. Also any ideas where I should find the parts to replace would be nice. Thanks for your help.

I assume it's an automatic transmission... I have a Subaru with AWD that does the same thing. It's called "torque bind" in them, and it means the transmission is going out. Try flushing yours out and replacing the filter and see if it helps. Otherwise, it might be your CV joints (I think Scouts have CV joints, or the equivalent of them) going bad.

Default Clanking and shifting

Hi,

Need more information to begin guessing.

When you say shift, do you mean transmission gears or vehicle/chassis/body moves that you can feel?

Since a scout's transmission is not directly involved in turning (long skinny shafts and move-able joints separate it from the axles), and if I understand the symptoms, the transmission does not seem likely. Maybe transmission/engine mounts.

Give more details, and start checking spring eye bushings, body mounts, axle Ubolts, anything that might move during the weight transfer that occurs on cornering. While you are at it, check ball joints and steering linkage.

I agree with Mr. 78. Spring eye bushings/bolts and u-bolts are the most common culprit here. The center pin on the spring pack can also break, allowing the axle to slide forward and backward.

This is one of those problems that isn't that hard to find, but sometimes you have to get creative in the manner in which you look. Sometimes a simple visual check is good. Other times, up in the air, frame on jack stands to take the tension off. Other times, driving around the block and re-creating the problem a couple of times is the key.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

It feels like the body or chassis moves and seems to be coming from the rear end. If I didn't know that wheels were on good, I would think one was falling off. I've gotten under there and looked around, tried to shake things, looked for any obvious signs that something is moving around and couldn't see anything. Last time i drove it, it seemed like it was getting worse. By the time I got home I would practically stop before I went around a corner and it didn't seem to matter. Still the same noise.
    Last edited by JDeterding; 07-13-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDeterding View Post
    It feels like the body or chassis moves and seems to be coming from the rear end. If I didn't know that wheels were on good, I would think one was falling off. I've gotten under there and looked around, tried to shake things, looked for any obvious signs that something is moving around and couldn't see anything. Last time i drove it, it seemed like it was getting worse. By the time I got home I would practically stop before I went around a corner and it didn't seem to matter. Still the same noise.
    That's not a different situation, but it's more information, and adds a possible culprit. The rear spring eye bushings or rear u-bolts/center pin still could be the problem. So could body mounts.

I would add this:

Pull the axle shafts and check the wheel bearings. Chances are it's time to replace them. They have to be pressed on to the shaft, and the old race can be hard to remove. I have used a dremel tool to cut a slice out of the old one for strain relief, but be careful.

While you're at it, if you find that the bearings are actually the problem, drain and replace the fluid in your differential and inspect it for wear. Spray brake cleaner all over it, then look closely, not just the ring gear, but also the spider gears on the inside. There is likely to be metal in the gear oil, and you really don't want that.
    Allan E.

I have a 75 and have encountered the exact same thing twice in the last couple years after changing to bigger tires. In both cases it was the rear diff that went out. THe first time it happened I found that I had busted a tooth off the pinion. The second time two weeks ago, I found that I had sheared off a couple teeth on the spider gears in the carrier.

You can check this by driving in a tight circle slowly, first to the left then to the right. If it pops and shifts then stops when you straighten out then its a good bet that thats where the issue is. To verify which parts are damaged pull the diff cover with the rear wheels off the ground and rotate them while inspecting the gears.

I hope thats not it. It was just rebuilt like 5000 miles ago

Quote Originally Posted by JDeterding View Post
    I hope thats not it. It was just rebuilt like 5000 miles ago
    I still have my money on the springs or the u-bolts, with a second place guess of the body mounts. It's not hard to replace any of the spring/suspension parts, but you need to figure it out. You could have a broken bolt in the spring bushing, and you really don't want that coming apart at the wrong time, like when you try to go over a railroad track...
    Allan E.

Default Shocks

Also check the shock bushings. If the rubber is worn out it can make for some awful noises and ride.