Thread: Timing marks?

Default Timing marks?

So I guess one is on the harmonic balancer, but where is the other? Perhaps my engine is covered in too much gunk? Does anyone have a pic? I have the Chilton truck manual but it doesn't tell me exactly where.

Thanks!
    6/16/2009 - Bought my 1980 Traveler (345A)!

The timing marks are on the timing cover. Click on the link below and you will see where the marks are.

http://scoutparts.com/products/?view...oduct_id=16620
    1972 IH 1210 pickup, 345, T-407
    1973 IH 1210 pickup, 392, T-407

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp1us View Post
    So I guess one is on the harmonic balancer, but where is the other? Perhaps my engine is covered in too much gunk? Does anyone have a pic? I have the Chilton truck manual but it doesn't tell me exactly where.

Thanks!
    The marks are under all the dirt and grease on the right side of the timing cover, about a quarter of an inch from the timing mark when it is pointed up at the passenger side water tube. If you're looking from the front of the vehicle, it's at about 11 o'clock on the crank pulley.

Time off of number 8 cylinder, not number 1.

If you have the big Chilton truck manual, it may be useful, but don't trust the specs. If you have one of the old "vehicle specific" ones from the auto parts stores, throw it in the garbage or sell it to some unsuspecting victim on craigslist, because it's completely useless. Either way, the factory manual from www.binderbooks.com is an absolute necessity. It will pay for itself if whether you do the work yourself or have somebody do it for you.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks!
    Click on the link below and you can see the timing marks in the picture.

http://scoutparts.com/products/?view...oduct_id=16620
    1972 IH 1210 pickup, 345, T-407
    1973 IH 1210 pickup, 392, T-407

Thanks!

Figures mine is the most expensive manual there! JML.

Now for the manuals, do I need the Engine service supplement for a 345A? Or the operator manual?

(I've got a 1980 Traveler (manuf Aug 7, 1979))

Thanks!

Figures mine is the most expensive manual there! JML.

Now for the manuals, do I need the Engine service supplement for a 345A? Or the operator manual?

(I've got a 1980 Traveler (manuf Aug 7, 1979))
    Not really.
    Allan E.

Well I finally got it timed... I am glad my AC was not hooked up because the only way I got a view of the timing marks was to smash my head against the AC compressor.

I hear people say 4 BDC is the way to go, but I think I still had some pinging at 4,5,6 (elevation 300ft) Is that normal? It didn't go away until I got closer to 10...

Well I finally got it timed... I am glad my AC was not hooked up because the only way I got a view of the timing marks was to smash my head against the AC compressor.

I hear people say 4 BDC is the way to go, but I think I still had some pinging at 4,5,6 (elevation 300ft) Is that normal? It didn't go away until I got closer to 10...
    I don't know what you were looking at, then. Ping comes from too much advance. If you advanced it more, it should have knocked more.

At sea level, you should be closer to 4 degrees, maybe even less. Ping is caused by the spark coming too early. Higher octane slows the rate of burn so that the explosion takes longer, which also reduces the knocking, or pinging, of an engine.

I suggest you run some sea foam through the carb to clean out the engine deposits, take it for a ride, and then see how it's running. If you're not getting engine knock, leave it where it is. If you are, retard the timing to about 4 degrees BTDC and try again.
    Allan E.