Thread: 73 scout II air cleaner

Default 73 scout II air cleaner

Need suggestions? I installed aN Edelbrock thunder 650 on my scout, Used adapter plate All installation went smooth. Now, here's what I need...An air filter that will work with the clearance be very minmal now,,,

Help ?

Quote Originally Posted by EDIPLUS View Post
    Need suggestions? I installed aN Edelbrock thunder 650 on my scout, Used adapter plate All installation went smooth. Now, here's what I need...An air filter that will work with the clearance be very minmal now,,,

Help ?
    There are only two diameters of carb used on these engines. I think it's 4.25" and 5", but it's easy enough to measure. Getting something to bolt on is the easy part.

I have always been of the opinion that the filter housing needs to be remote. The only thing that should hook to the carb is the duct. The filter, but most important, the inlet should be cold air from outside, not hot air from inside the engine compartment.

Of course, you could always install a hood scoop. I bought a separate hood just so I could install a scoop.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

About your only options are to go with an aftermarket round air cleaner with a flat bottom and with a 2 inch filament so it is about 2.5 inches high. You can find these at Summit Racing or Jegs. Make sure you find one that will allow the hose connection at the bottom if you currently have that. The other option is get rid of your tall adapter plate and go with a smaller height one.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers