Thread: Chattering noise

Default Chattering noise

New name (since my old account locked me out)...same ole' issues with the Scout. Actually this one is new...at least to me. Went to start the Scout a couple of weeks back and all I heard what a chattering noise. Cycled the ignition switch a couple of times and...bingo it cranked. This continued to happen every other crank until this morning when all I got was chattering.

Engine is a 345 with old wiring and a new starter (Nov 08). Looking at a painless kit and the dash panel from scoutparts.com but since I have been moving I put it off (rethinking that one right now...LOL).

I'm thinking that it is the starter or insufficient power going to the starter so going with that and the also at the advice of a friend of mine that is rebuilding his J#@p I am taking my starter and battery in to be tested.

More than likely the starter will end up being bad but just in case I would appreciate any suggestions any of you have. Again I plan on getting a new wiring kit and gauges (suggestions on the best combo would also be welcome) so the ever present loose BHC should be taken out of the equation. 99% of my problems with this truck have been electrical so hopefully fixing the wiring will fix most of my problems.

Jay
    75 Scout II
    345 with 727
    4" suspension and 2" body lift
    33x12.50
    topless

Quote Originally Posted by Hi IH View Post
    New name (since my old account locked me out)...same ole' issues with the Scout. Actually this one is new...at least to me. Went to start the Scout a couple of weeks back and all I heard what a chattering noise. Cycled the ignition switch a couple of times and...bingo it cranked. This continued to happen every other crank until this morning when all I got was chattering.

Engine is a 345 with old wiring and a new starter (Nov 08). Looking at a painless kit and the dash panel from scoutparts.com but since I have been moving I put it off (rethinking that one right now...LOL).

I'm thinking that it is the starter or insufficient power going to the starter so going with that and the also at the advice of a friend of mine that is rebuilding his J#@p I am taking my starter and battery in to be tested.

More than likely the starter will end up being bad but just in case I would appreciate any suggestions any of you have. Again I plan on getting a new wiring kit and gauges (suggestions on the best combo would also be welcome) so the ever present loose BHC should be taken out of the equation. 99% of my problems with this truck have been electrical so hopefully fixing the wiring will fix most of my problems.

Jay
    75 Scout II
    345 with 727
    4" suspension and 2" body lift
    33x12.50
    topless
    Don't overlook the battery cables. You can have everything work right except the starter due to bad cables.

I always install a remote ford style solenoid on mine. It eliminates the starter problems that are due to inadequate wiring, which is nearly all of them, and makes troubleshooting easier as well.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default Thanks

Taking your advice and going one step further. I just got my 20 circuit painless wiring harness and a new dash panel and gauges from scoutparts a couple of days ago so once I get it all installed I should be rid of my wiring gremlins for good. I'll replace the battery cables at the same time just to ensure they aren't the weak link.

Jay

Default chattering

chattering is usually due to low bat. So be sure to check battery and charging system.