Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 345 temp sender location

Default 345 temp sender location

Still working on getting my gauges in working order. I grounded the wire connected to the oil sender and the needle moved so thats not an issue with the gauge. But I couldn't find a single wire for the temp sender. I found two green wires connected to a circular connector. Could those be them? Should I be looking for a single wire? FYI its a 79' 345 auto.

Be careful, don't get the green wires crossed!
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Quote Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
    Be careful, don't get the green wires crossed!
    ok, i won't. Do you know what the green wires are? Can you let me know? Are the wires for the temp sender a pair or single?

Thanks

There should only be one wire. It will be long enough to reach the sensor that is located by the thermostat housing. It will also have a plastic connector so it can slide over the connection. And yes it will be green, but 99.5% of the wires in a Scout are GREEN!

Hope that helps
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Still no clarity on the location of the temp send wire but a friend told me my pair of green wires connector is a lamp. Is there supposed to be an under hood lamp?

no under hood light was installed in a scout II engine compartment.

if you are having that much trouble why dont you just start taking a test light to all the exposed ends of wire in the engine compartment and find the ones that have power when the key is on. Then start eliminating those by grounding one at a time and see if you gauge moves.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

I am. Worked for oil. No result for water. May need to just run one new.

Just out of curiosity have you pulled the gauge and traced the wires from the gauge?
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II

Quote Originally Posted by 78ssii View Post
    Just out of curiosity have you pulled the gauge and traced the wires from the gauge?
    No. It was 102 yesterday and I all I could bear to do was check the wires. I will have to do that though it looks like. Plan to try some more this weekend. Keep telling myself if i have to go that far I should re wire the whole thing. However, I don't have the funds for a quickwire or painless kit. Thought about using a fender mounted fuse block assembly from a heep. Any opinions on that?

Doubt an additional fuse block will solve your guage problem, all that will do is give you more room to add accessories. Just take your time and trace the wires, and if you havent done so, get yourself a user manual. That will be your life blood for these vehicles.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II