Thread: 727 transmission

Default 727 transmission

Does anybody know if the Tf727 used behind the Sd33 is the same as the Chysler 727. Sorry if this is posted somewhere else but im new and havent quite figured out the board.

Same transmission, different bellhousing than the v-8's.

Okay so one from a chrysler will not fit on the sd33 its a complete different bolt pattern. that stinks bc i found a scout 2 that has a sd33 but no trans and we have lots of old dodges around here that i could take one out of. I looked at pictures and it looked like the bolt pattern was right.

I guess it might depend on what you're taking it out of then. I know that mine has a T-19 with a round bell housing that's specific to the diesel only and won't cross over to the v-8's. You might wanna take a template and measure everything out.

The SD33 uses a standard SAE bell housing pattern. I don't know if the 727 had other applications for that, but there are a whole bunch of different applications that use an SAE bell housing pattern. I forget which one they used, SAE4 maybe? Gotta think outside the box here.

Find another engine that used the bell housing pattern and work backward from there. Might be you can find something you really like will bolt up to it.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

so the question is... what other motor will bolt up to an international 727...I know a 345,304,392 but are there others that are not international??

Quote Originally Posted by innerairlock View Post
    so the question is... what other motor will bolt up to an international 727...I know a 345,304,392 but are there others that are not international??
    No.

The 266 is also on that list, but that one was discontinued in 68, as the specs weren't enough different from the 304 to justify both engines, and The 304 used the same pistons as the 345.

There are SV to SAE adapters available, because I have a 345 with an Allison 540 transmission behind it in my 73 Loadstar school bus. I have seen them in cargostars (cab over loadstars) as well, and in IH trucks all the way into the early 80s.

I can't believe GM didn't use a light diesel with the same SAE bell housing pattern on something with an automatic, or maybe ford or dodge or nissan or toyota or isuzu or somebody. It's a common engine pattern.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak