Thread: Key tumbler replacement problems

Default Key tumbler replacement problems

I have taken the steering wheel off and moved the turn signal apparatus out of the way but can't get the tumbler to release and come out. I can't get the key to turn to the on position now so that I can get the tumbler out. What am I missing or do I have another problem. Help me Binder brothers

One way you could do this is to drill out the pins on the inside of the tumbler, not the best idea but it works. Another way to get the little basterds out is with a slide hammer w/ a screw on the end. Screw it into the tumbler, then give it a few good wacks and she'll pop right out.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Any chance that you have pressure on the steering column/lock assembly from the wheels being turned a bit? Jacking the front end up will remove any pressure, if that is the cause. Replacing the steering wheel and turning it should also help, if that is the cause.
    If that isn't the problem...well, my 800 doesn't have the system so I don't know.

i believe there is a pin on the side of the where the tumbler goes into did you remove that. 72 or newer ih?

If you are trying to remove the key, you will need to tap out the shallow window to push the pin in to release the pin. It is to the top right on the window under the turn signal.
    If you have a picture of what you have, send it, and I will circle what you need to drill or punch out... thanks Rob

Default Ignition Key Cylinder/Tumbler Removal

Rbelflower (Rob),

You seem to be the resident expert in removing the ignition key cylinder/tumbler. I saw your posts to fbg_bigcountry and jtremain about the ignition cylinder... I have a '74 scout and already took everything a part... looking at the housing now. I have two holes, but putting a small screwdriver in either has the same results.. nothing! I was wondering if you could share your PM with fbg_bigcountry to see if you could shed some light on my situation! I have a picture if you'd like to see what I'm dealing with... send me a PM, for I don't have enough "post" to send a PM or attach my email address! Who is making this rules!!

Thanks in Advance...

Rob Snyder (RSnyder2)

Rob,
    sent you a note...
    The "holes" persay are not normally already there unless someone has already replace the key set with this method. To the top of the turn cam, there is a shallow part of the housing. You need to tap or drill it out (CAREFULLY) to gain access to the pin below.

Thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RSnyder2 View Post
    Rbelflower (Rob),

You seem to be the resident expert in removing the ignition key cylinder/tumbler. I saw your posts to fbg_bigcountry and jtremain about the ignition cylinder... I have a '74 scout and already took everything a part... looking at the housing now. I have two holes, but putting a small screwdriver in either has the same results.. nothing! I was wondering if you could share your PM with fbg_bigcountry to see if you could shed some light on my situation! I have a picture if you'd like to see what I'm dealing with... send me a PM, for I don't have enough "post" to send a PM or attach my email address! Who is making this rules!!

Thanks in Advance...

Rob Snyder (RSnyder2)

Default Got It - Ignition Cylinder Is Out!

I got it... well not exactly!! I had to resort to a locksmith and $45.00 later! At least now I know and maybe can help answer some questions. My specific problem was because the housing itself. There is not a hole by default... you have to drill (or like the locksmith, pound) the "flashing" to break it open and make the ignition pin accessible. It took him a total of one minute using my own tools and it was out!

I have a picture of mine... and can show where to "break" open the housing to access the ignition pin for release. If anyone needs to know.. drop me a line!
    rfsnyder@knology.net