Thread: 345 water pump problems

Default 345 water pump problems

I put a new water pump on my 345 and about 200 miles later it started dripping and my coolant was all brown. Now it will not even hold coolant and obviously I need to pull it off again. I need a little help on what I did wrong and how to do it properly. While installing the new one I had the radiator cleaned and checked so I know it is good to go. Thanks for the help.

Default water pump

I bought it from SSS so I will find out... either way I am going to have to get a new one. Would the dirty coolant in the block have caused my problems? I just assumed after I pulled the radiator and the water pump that would have been enough, but that is why I am not a mechanic!

Hi,

The previous reply was right on. Flush the engine. Was the leak from the shaft seal or from the gasket? I would be surprised that anything would give up the ghost, that quickly, if it were a quality part. Was your new water pump really new or was it rebuilt? Clean threads and torque nuts and bolts.
    Make sure when it is back together that you make sure that you have proper
    flow, a new thermostat and that all hoses are in good shape.

Good luck,

KB-14

I did not change out my hoses as they are fairly new. I can't tell where it is leaking from but it looks like it is out of the pump. I guess I also need advice on how to seal the gasket. I used some gasket sealer and applied it to the block and the pump and sandwiched the gasket in between. Was this right? I used brand new greade 8 bolts with lock washers. When I installed the new one the "instructions" that came with it said there would be some initial drippin on startup from a "weep valve" and that that would stop as it warmed up. That happened just as it said it would. Then when it started leaking after a couple hundered miles it would stop after it warmed up. Like I said, now it will not hold water at all. Did my dirty coolant cause it to fail? Would that small amount of dirty coolant that I left in the system cause all my coolant to go bad? I appreciate all the help and I am really glad the binder bulletin is back up as I am ready to get out there on the road with the top off!

When you replace the pump this time, use anti-seize on the threads. Install it all dry. If you got a uniform amount of sealant on the gasket surface, chances are pretty good it's just a defective pump. With a freshly cleaned radiator and new coolant, what little was in the block should not have been enough to cause the seal to fail in 200 miles. If it is indeed the seal, SSS will honor the warranty. They stand by their products.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Jay View Post
    I did not change out my hoses as they are fairly new. I can't tell where it is leaking from but it looks like it is out of the pump. I guess I also need advice on how to seal the gasket. I used some gasket sealer and applied it to the block and the pump and sandwiched the gasket in between. Was this right? I used brand new greade 8 bolts with lock washers. When I installed the new one the "instructions" that came with it said there would be some initial drippin on startup from a "weep valve" and that that would stop as it warmed up. That happened just as it said it would. Then when it started leaking after a couple hundered miles it would stop after it warmed up. Like I said, now it will not hold water at all. Did my dirty coolant cause it to fail? Would that small amount of dirty coolant that I left in the system cause all my coolant to go bad? I appreciate all the help and I am really glad the binder bulletin is back up as I am ready to get out there on the road with the top off!

I like to use Permatex #2 on my IH water pump gaskets. Could it be possible that your new bolts are slightly longer than the stock bolts and are bottoming out, not allowing you to tighten the pump to the housing all the way?

Robert

Default bolts issue waterpump

as I just completed this task- new radiator, hoses, pump, thermo-the whole 9yds-in my hast to complete the job, and getting real tired of wearing eythlene glycol head to toe, I snaped one of the original "72" hosing bolts.
    Got a replacemnt, but did not check close enogh length.- Sure enough it bottomed and I got another dosing of anti-freeze-won't tell ya how many times I did and undid the thing before I noticed the shiny bolt was bit longer.
    Do I feel diumb- you bet- but maybe this will benfit someone!