Thread: Question about my fuel filler neck

Default Question about my fuel filler neck

Hey all,

I'm the new owner of a 79 Scout II, and I have a question that I have not seen addressed in any other posts.

At the gas pump, it takes me forever to fill up. If I pull the trigger fully on the pump nozzle, it immediately shuts off. To get any gas in, I have to just barely pull the trigger. It almost seems like there is some obstruction or bend in the neck that trips the auto-shutoff feature. California (like a lot of states) has emission control nozzles that keep vapors from escaping during filling. I have tried only inserting the nozzle part-way and holding the vapor guard back. This didn't really help with the auto-shutoff, but I did manage to get gas all over me once the tank was full.

I can't really blame the pump because I was doing everything I could think of to bypass the auto-shutoff. Since then, I usually can only get about 10 gallons in the tank before I get frustrated enough to just call it good and leave. Also, I have tried fueling at multiple locations and different companies.

The filler neck and tank seem to be completely stock except for an aftermarket locking fuel cap.

Is it possible that some of the vent lines are hooked up incorrectly? I see that there are 2 lines that attach to the filler neck and run up to somewhere in the engine compartment.

If anyone else is having this problem, is there any sort of modification or kit that could alleviate the problem?

Thanks for all the help! I've already learned a lot from reading other posts here.

James

I read about this issue on another forum (sorry don't have any links). It isn't anything that you are doing, it is the newer fuel nozzles they are putting on the pumps there in CA. It will take a while for you to get a full tank, it's a major Pain in da rear.

Not much you can do to your rig to make it pump faster while still meeting the CA emissions test requirements.

Might want to check your breather hose that connects to the filler neck and down to the tank. It could be plugged or not connected. You should be able to at least get the nozzle to the first lock point and leave it there. I am able to do that and walk away to do the window.

James, shoot me off an email. We are having a work day this weekend on a fellow members Scout and if you can show up we can take a look at your set up and see if we can find a solution to your problem.

Cadman1275@yahoo.com
    Last edited by 78ssii; 07-24-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: because i wanted too...hahaha
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Thanks for the responses.

I can't even leave the pump at the first detent. It stops as soon as I pull it past about 1/4 inch.

I ordered a manual today to check the vent connections. I'm sure I will need it for many other things in the months to come.

I fought this problem for years on my Cordoba. I eventually took the filler tube out of the tank and found about two feet of siphon hose coiled up inside.

I have the same problem with my '72. The way I found works for me is to turn and hold the nozzle at the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position. I don't understand why it works but it does. I know that I don't have any obstructions because I replaced my plastic filler tube with the steel one. Hope that helps.

Default clik and clak

Not necessarily convenient, but your situation sounds very similar to an issue brought up on NPR's Car Talk. A woman was having similar symptoms and I believe the diagnosis was a clogged breather hose. I have not gotten into my fuel system yet but notice 2 or 3 hoses heading up to the side of the tank on my 79 scout II where the vapor collection box/unit must be. It might be worth checking those hoses to be sure you are not building up back pressure while filling. Perhaps a simple test of this is to try to squeeze a small tube into the fill neck while pumping to give a vapor escape to see if this stops the shutoff. I think the shutoff at the pump is a pressure driven event and this would disable this feature, covering you in gas again but confirming it is not an obstruction in the fill neck.

Sorry I don't remember which episode of Car Talk...

-jack

Quote Originally Posted by 78ssii View Post
    Might want to check your breather hose that connects to the fuel filler neck and down to the tank. It could be plugged or not connected. You should be able to at least get the nozzle to the first lock point and leave it there. I am able to do that and walk away to do the window.

James, shoot me off an email. We are having a work day this weekend on a fellow members Scout and if you can show up we can take a look at your set up and see if we can find a solution to your problem.

Cadman1275@yahoo.com
    Hi there, I know this was a year ago, sorry for bumping. I have checked the breather hose on my filler neck, and found out that was not connected. Thanks for the advice on this one.
    Last edited by janajoy; 02-18-2011 at 03:07 PM.