Thread: Which type of tranny fluid?

Post Which type of tranny fluid?

I have a '73 scout II with a 345 and auto trans, and need to service the tranny. I am not sure which tranny I have in my rig...on the gear indicator in the cab it has (from the bottom up) 1,2, and D. Then of coarse N, R and P. I have the Chilton's manual, but have found it to be quite usless since it is a combo of like 5 years of scouts and 3 or 4 engine/tranny combos.

If anyone knows what I am working with and what the correct fluid to service with is, I would really appriciate the help. Also, if there is a tranny filter I can replace the old one with. Thanks for the help.

you have 727 chrysler transmission. trany case that will only bolt up to a 304-345-392 ih but all the internal parts are chrysler even pan gasket and filter so just get one for a 727 mid 70's chrysler. its the gm stuff dexron/mercon i think
    Last edited by john breeze; 07-27-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Actually you should just be able to look up a filter kit by looking up your Scout. It's all in the systems by part numbers, so the chrysler tranny comes up. I've done a few of them already and never had a problem finding them at Napa. And I always used the GM style fluid.

Thanks for the help