Thread: Rewiring

Exclamation Rewiring

I previously had a post about rewiring the tail end of my scout. Well, needless to say, I couldn't fond the culprit wire the was causing my issue and I came to hate my bottle fuses. I bought a new wiring harness with blade fuses from a Kwik wirning company in Wisconsin. It came with some generic instructions, but every wire is nicely labeled. My problem is the wirning for the brakes and tail lights. The harness has a wire stating Tail light and another set for the turn signals. I only find two wires coming from my tail lights and I think the brown one is supposed to be the ground, but it is the same color as the tail light wire on the harness. The intruction said that the brakes could possibly be set up to work throught the turn switch wire at the collumn... Does anybody know?

I just got done wiring up my scout with the 14 circuit from Kwik wiring. The hardest part I ran into was the dash wiring. If you have the original wiring diagrams for the scout 2's, you should be fine. If not just post back.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Cool

The wiring for the turn signals gets its ground from the light housing. The 2 wires do not provide the ground. The 2 wires provide power to the light for turn signal and brake lights.

Default Ignernt question

Excuse my ignorance on this one...along the lines of the question, do the lights (and other electronics) simply tie to the frame for ground (ie the return wire is the frame of the vehicle)? Are there issues with everything simply tying to ground to get back to the battery? I haven't looked at the headlights yet, but am about to install driving lights and will face a similar problem shortly.

Your comments are appreciated here as first hand advice is easier to interpret than the books' diagrams.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakland_Jack View Post
    Excuse my ignorance on this one...along the lines of the question, do the lights (and other electronics) simply tie to the frame for ground (ie the return wire is the frame of the vehicle)? Are there issues with everything simply tying to ground to get back to the battery? I haven't looked at the headlights yet, but am about to install driving lights and will face a similar problem shortly.

Your comments are appreciated here as first hand advice is easier to interpret than the books' diagrams.
    I've always used the body as the ground for my lights. Keeps things simple, and that's the way they came from the factory. If you try to make everything ground back to the battery, you'll just make more of a mess than you need.

What year and model is your Scout?

You can get wiring diagrams from this site:

binderblues
    1966 International Harvester Scout 800
    152 CI, 4 CYL
    "A work in progress..."

I couldn't post the actual link because you have to have 2 or more posts. Now that I do, here is the link.

Wiring Diagrams
    1966 International Harvester Scout 800
    152 CI, 4 CYL
    "A work in progress..."

Quote Originally Posted by LupusKout View Post
    I previously had a post about rewiring the tail end of my scout. Well, needless to say, I couldn't fond the culprit wire the was causing my issue and I came to hate my bottle fuses. I bought a new wiring harness with blade fuses from a Kwik wirning company in Wisconsin. It came with some generic instructions, but every wire is nicely labeled. My problem is the wirning for the brakes and tail lights. The harness has a wire stating Tail light and another set for the turn signals. I only find two wires coming from my tail lights and I think the brown one is supposed to be the ground, but it is the same color as the tail light wire on the harness. The intruction said that the brakes could possibly be set up to work throught the turn switch wire at the collumn... Does anybody know?
    I am assuming you have the metal light housings? If you do then the housing is the ground. Make sure you have a good ground wire from the battery to the engine, the body. If you have to scratch a little paint or corrosion off at the contact points of the grounds use a dietetic grease to protect it.

If you switch to the plastic lenses then ( i didn't see anything on what Scout you have) you should have a 3rd wire that if I remember correctly is black. The kwik wire harness should be color coded though so it should all correspond to the colored wires if you have replaced sockets or pigtails in the past.

HTH
    Rich