Thread: 77 scout advise

Default 77 scout advise

Looking at a 77 scout II but there are a lot of things that bother me about it what do you think.

photo on seattle CL ad #1290512841 Cannot post links yet cause of my post count

It has 345 with the 727 tranny. It drives and shifts nicely. Grinds and is difficult to get in and out of 4 wheel drive.

Fame has been off and all the bolts bushings ect have been replaced with stainless and new rubber. All weather stripping repleced and cosmetic restore done. Under carriage looks painted but doesnt look like they blast it first so they just painted over oil and dirt. No bondo in the rockers but a littlr in the rear tail light area. Fenders appear the have had patch panels welded over the rusted out areas but they didnt cut away the rust(WTF)???. Interior is pretty decent. Has mystery problem where battery wont hold charge. Says not battery but electrical issure( at least he's honest). Neither door seats properly but looks like they just didnt know how to install them. Paint is poor...It looks nice but when you get close you can tell it was done in a garage and is chippy.

he is down to 3500...My instinct is too much not so professional work that will need fixing to make the good stuff that was done worth while.

I am new to scouts and havent found more then rust buckets locally yet. will be using it mostly to cruise around no top no doors locally summer time only.

what do you think? follow my instinct? (I dont do body work or paint) Any thing else I should look at?

Thanks I'll be around a lot once I find something

3500 is an awful lot for a Scout that's not in really good condition (7 or 8 out of 10). As for the being tough to get in and out of 4wd, I've never had a Scout that wanted to come out of 4wd unless you put it in fiddled with it for a while. (It's almost as if they're trying to say something about it to you!! lol) If it grinds a little going in, the engine idle might be set a little high. But I would say there's nothing wrong with the transfer case. The doors sagging might be bad alignment, might be bad floors. Hard to say without looking at it in person. Either way, I'd say you'll find better deals from some of the guys on here instead of buying something you're going to have to put another 1000 into to make it look good again.

There are a lot of nice scouts out there on which the work has already been done, or wasn't needed in the first place. If you're willing to spend some money on a nice scout, spend a little less and go farther away to pick one up.

We call this "an adventure."

It only takes a weekend to drive 1200 miles.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks guys that was my thinking Just needed someone else to tell me so I get itchy to pull the trigger some time