Thread: RPMs too low in gear, wants to stall

Default RPMs too low in gear, wants to stall

I just got my '73 II (345 auto) title in, and put tags on it yesterday. I drove it about 60 miles for about 3 hrs yesterday in the middle of the day Arkansas heat. It ran like a scalded dog all day. I stopped for lunch for about an hour and then drove to the end of the street, when I got to the light the rpms slowley went down from about 600 to 400. When I stepped on the gas to keep it from stalling it died. I started it back up and drove on, it wanted to do the same thing at the next light. I put it in neutral and the rpms went up to 700 and held steady. It ran great on the highway all the way to my house, then when I got to the driveway it did the stalling thing again.

I adjusted the set screws on the side of the bowl on the carb and the rpms went up, but were too high in park and neutral, like 900 or so. I adjusted the throttle screw just a bit so my park idle is like 750 and my "in gear" idle is about 450 so it will hold steady. I took off the linkage for the tranny kickdown lever, it runs much smoother w/o that thing. I just shift it like a manual trans.

I have a rebuilt distributer out of a '78 II with new points, flyweights and condensor. Battery, Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, alternator are all new. Its timed good and I put a ballast resistor on it. I didn't have a chance to check the points, engine was too hot and I had to go to work-hope they aren't fried again like they would get before I put the ballast resistor on.

Is there anything I am missing here? Would advancing the timing forward just a hair fix this or does it sound like something else?

If it is still stalling after you adjusted the idle, try adjusting/checking the timing and the air/fuel mixture screws...if that still don't fixit then you might need to open the carb up and tune it...my two cents.

Are those the screws on the side of the carb close to the bowl?

Default rpms too low in gear,stalls

i;m having same issue with my 78 345 auto tranny have you found solution if please pass it on thanks