Thread: charging system questions

Default charging system questions

Hi, Jim Adams here, yes, nice to see the bulletin back. Have some questions about the charging system on my truck. 71 1110 4x4, 345.. `
    has any one swapped out the stock alternator for a higher output internally regulated unit? Mine charges at about 13.5 at idle, would like to get it up around 13.8-14.2. I do plan on putting in a higher output alt., I beieve mine is around a 60-75 amp, thinking of going up to a 125A if possible. Also, would a new regulator put it into the 13.8-14.2 range, thoughts? My reg does a lot of bouncing around after startup, then settles down. It does, however at idle hot tend to be on the discharge side of the gauge at night with the lights on and heater fan running. I can get out and tap it and it will usually go up to the plus side. Appreciate everyones thoughts on this. Thanks, Jim.

Hi,

Sounds like you need to check out your gounding points and your wiring. Make sure your grounds are good. Clean and tight. Wiring in a vehicle this old, especially in an IH, is not the best. Cleaning your grounds (and there are several) probably get you back to where you need, if your wires are good.

KB-14

PS,

Unless you have added higher current draws, you shouldn't need a higher output alternator.

KB-14

I would not put in that big alt,you will end up with more problems,the systm is not meant for that.It sounds like a bad regulator to me.
    Jeff

Default charging system question

I changed to the 62 amp internal reg alternator because the 'external' reg was putting out 14.8 volts. Just a bit too hot. Took the truck to a local auto electric shop and he changed the alt to the newer style. Didn't cost that much more than buying a new external reg. The factory wireing won't handle much more then 62 amps.
    Bill Bennett 68 Travelall 1100 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by grnbinder View Post
    Hi, Jim Adams here, yes, nice to see the bulletin back. Have some questions about the charging system on my truck. 71 1110 4x4, 345.. `
    has any one swapped out the stock alternator for a higher output internally regulated unit? Mine charges at about 13.5 at idle, would like to get it up around 13.8-14.2. I do plan on putting in a higher output alt., I beieve mine is around a 60-75 amp, thinking of going up to a 125A if possible. Also, would a new regulator put it into the 13.8-14.2 range, thoughts? My reg does a lot of bouncing around after startup, then settles down. It does, however at idle hot tend to be on the discharge side of the gauge at night with the lights on and heater fan running. I can get out and tap it and it will usually go up to the plus side. Appreciate everyones thoughts on this. Thanks, Jim.
    Your charging voltage at idle is fine. The battery stabilizes without the charge at 12.6 volts. The system is working exactly how it should.

As suggested, check the grounds on the regulator and check your battery cables.

It is normal for the system to discharge with the lights and heater on.

Higher output alternators only put out higher output when they are running full tilt. You will not make a difference at idle with a 125 amp alternator. If you want higher idle charging voltage, the smaller alternator will do a better job. Put a smaller pulley on it if you want more idle charge.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak