Thread: Belt hell

Default Belt hell

I threw a belt the other night and wound up with a mess. One belt was wrapped around the fan, the other two were just hanging there.

I have three belts, but only two accessories to power.

The engine is a 345a, with the AC and the emissions pumps - however the previous owner took those belts off. (It is titled historic so no worries)

I have two longer belts - I figure one is for the alternator/waterpump/crank. And the other is for the power steering. But then I notice alternator has two slots for belts... Is that the third belt?

I have the manual, but I can't find this information in it.

Thanks!
    6/16/2009 - Bought my 1980 Traveler (345A)!

Should be two belts crank water pump and alt. Another crank to ps pump. One from water pump to compressor. Good luck.

Thanks! I should be fine then. Any idea on why two belts?

two belts, twice the friction/surface to turn things...and if you loose one, you'll still make it home

Quote Originally Posted by chingonZO View Post
    two belts, twice the friction/surface to turn things...and if you loose one, you'll still make it home
    Except that whatever happened, I lost all three at once. And by the time I got home the antifreeze was steaming out of the coolant reservoir! Fortunately it was only 2-3 miles to home. The killer is that you lose the water pump too. (I'd have thought the crank would drive that.)

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp1us View Post
    Except that whatever happened, I lost all three at once. And by the time I got home the antifreeze was steaming out of the coolant reservoir! Fortunately it was only 2-3 miles to home. The killer is that you lose the water pump too. (I'd have thought the crank would drive that.)

Thanks everyone!

I don't know how old you rig is or how long you have had it more accurately, but if the story is anything like mine all the belts were ready to go. One goes and fouls the rest if they are all already dry rotted. I upgraded to a different compressor with a double groove pulley on it and ran two 70 inch belts over compressor alternator, water pump and crank. That way they all have two friction points. Hard to find a belt that long though and this idea wont work if you still have the york compressor. I also thought the water pump was driven internally. Oops it isn't. No belts no circulation.

Goodluck

There are stretchable "temporary" belts available in case you need to rig something up. In most cases, you need one that goes to the water pump, and you can get home on the battery if it's not too far. The biggest thing is just not damaging the engine from lack of cooling. You can always buy a new battery.

An old nylon also works for this. They seem to be getting rare, though.

Two belts means you don't have to tighten the belts as tight, which means the bearings last longer.

I have heard of engines that had electric or crank driven water pumps, but I have never seen one. I think electric is a good way to go for a few applications, such as off roading (high volume at low rpm on the trail), but I sure wouldn't want to pay to replace one if it broke. If ford or toyota started putting them in cars, it would probably be more expensive for the pump, and an added 2-400 dollars for the motor to drive it as well. A serpentine belt is such a step up from V-belts that nobody seems to think an alternative beyond that is worth the (money and) effort.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default Adjustable replacement belt

Another option for short term emergency belts is the interlocking adjustable belts like you find on heavy machinery. I've used them for getting back home on a few occasions, they pack up fairly easily. Since they are completely adjustable, you can change the lengths in the field to get back home (or your friends)

Here's a PDF link if anyone is interested:
    http://www.cobrel.co.za/Pdfs/AL-4AccuLink-Back.pdf

Default Adjustable belt Option

Another option is the emergency adjustable belts like are typically used on industrial machinery.

Do a search for Accu-LinkŪ Adjustable Link V-Belts on google and you'll find some good information, there is a PDF link by www. cobrel. co. za / Pdfs / AL-4AccuLink-Back.pdf (remove spaces) that shows some one such belt.

I've used them in the past to get back home or to the store to get the right belt. The one I have is a little different, but same concept. Works great & packs small. (Mainly used if I forget to replace the spare belt & pop another.)