Thread: carburator

Default carburator

I have a Rochester Quadrajet carb. I thought it was a 4 barrel but after seeing some intake manifolds maybe the standard was only 2 barrel. Did some come with square bore spread bore or should i assume I have a 2 bore manifold. If so is this carb a good carb? Should I look for another? If so what? My timing is according to spec and all things seem correct just not s lot of performance out of the motor. All opinions and suggestions welcome. Thanks.

I suggest you use a vacuum gauge to tell you what's going on with the engine.

Quadra means 4. If you have a quadrajet, it's a 4 barrel. So is a thermoquad...

You can tell by looking if it's a spread bore or a square bore. I am partial to the square bore because the carbs are much less expensive, but if I have a spreadbore manifold, I don't change it. A spreadbore is nice because you have very small primaries, which means you can tune for economy, and when you need to open it up, you can push a bunch of air through the engine.

If you think the carb is not right, they aren't that hard to overhaul. The hard part is finding a place to work where you can keep everything organized. This is especially true if there are wives who want the space for something else (or nothing at all) or children who feel it is their job to play with everything they find, sort of like I was from age 2 until yesterday.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Should I get one I can mount in the dash? I see a lot of vacuum / boost gauges people use for turbo monitor. Is that adequite. And where do I attach it? I see a few holes in the manifold that could be. Thanks again.

I think rochester makes good carbs, they usually are able to run at odd angles and the needle jets are easily accesable from the outside to change or clean. They make a quadrajet and a dueljet, just count the barrels.

I wouldn't think you would need to mount a permanent vacuum gauge in the cab, just a guage tool so you can plug it into different vacuum ports on the carb. You can also check for vacuum leaks by spraying a little carb cleaner on the mateing surfaces while running and listening for idle change.

What allen said on the rebuild x2. rochesters are not to bad to rebuild. Just keep the instructions out, dedicate youself a big table just for the one carb and try to take it apart and put it back together in the same day so you don't forget anything.