Thread: ball joints and wheel bearings

Default ball joints and wheel bearings

Ok newb here just got a 75 scout and starting the process of lots of fun work. Doing uppper and lower ball joints and inner and outter wheel bearings this weekend hopefully...As I was searching around best I can tell special tools needed or helpful:

Ball joint press of some sort either borrowed form autozone or clamp style
    Ball joint wrench/socket.

I did not notice special tool for bearing...any thing else? I assume you pack bearings with grease correct? if so what kind? I know i need a shop manual and have one on order but have work to do in the mean time your help is appreciated

I highly recommend the C-Clamp press style ball joint tool. I bought mine years ago and have used it more than a regular c-clamp. Does u-joints, spring bushings, ball joints, brake pins, etc... It came with all the cups and presses I needed to put in the joints.

For the bearings, a seal puller will be helpful but not required if you are careful with driving the inner bearing out. A seal seating tool is nice, but not really needed if you are careful with the 2x4 / plywood / dead blow hammer arrangement. Or if you have the clamp mentioned above, some of the adapters work great to press in seals.

As for the grease, some may choose one brand over another, but I prefer a good, high temp, lithium based axle / bearing grease. Make sure you are using one that is rated for disk brakes (if you have them). There is a small grease gun attachment that can be cheaply purchased to utilize the grease gun to press the new grease in. I've got one, but still press grease in by hand. I've used graphite based grease in the past with good results also.

HTH, Good luck on the project.

Bill

Thanks bill will post how it went tomorrow...