Thread: Will not start on a hill

Default Will not start on a hill

I've got a 1975 200 with a 345, I think. Everything is stock but as long as I have had the truck I can not start from a dead stop on any grade bigger than 5-6%. The truck has an auto tranny and 4WD. When I get into spots like that it will just hold itself there or roll backwards if larger than a 10% grade, even with my foot to the floor.

Could this be an issue with the torque converter? Any other ideas? The timing is set correctly and the carb is jetted accordingly to my 4000FT altitude.

Thanks!
    1975 200 345 4WD
    8ft bed, 101K miles, snot green and no rust!

If the fluid level is good, it could either be the torque converter or the transmission itself. Service the transmission and make the call. You may find it just needs fresh fluid and adjustments.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I'll give that a shot.

Just outa curiosity, what manual gear boxes were offered in these beasts?
    1975 200 345 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by spf150 View Post
    I'll give that a shot.

Just outa curiosity, what manual gear boxes were offered in these beasts?
    There were two 4 speed options, T19 with either a close or wide ratio, and there were two 5 speed options, one with OD and the same gearing as the wide 4 speed for gears 1-4, and the other was a close ratio 5 speed with no OD.

There was another direct 5 speed with a very deep first gear, but I don't think it was offered on the 75 pickups and travelalls. That doesn't mean there aren't any, since they were a bolt-in swap. They may have still been an option.

The 4 and 5 speeds used different bell housings, input shafts, and as a result, different pilot bearings. The 4 speed was by far the most common.
    Allan E.

Thanks! I would love to have OD along with a really deep first gear. I take it the 5 speed transmissions are hard to come by? Out of curiosity were there any auto OD transmissions offered?
    Last edited by spf150; 08-02-2009 at 09:15 AM.
    1975 200 345 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by spf150 View Post
    Thanks! I would love to have OD along with a really deep first gear. I take it the 5 speed transmissions are hard to come by? Out of curiosity were there any auto OD transmissions offered?
    1. Yes, hard to find, but still out there. Hit and miss.
    2. No.
    Allan E.

From visiting a different board, I see you found RMIHR. If you had put your location in your signature, I would have told you about it before. Hope you had fun. I really miss being there. Trail rides are today, tomorrow and Wednesday if there is enough interest.
    Allan E.

Usually if I had one to slip it was low of fluid, or the bands(clutches in auto, don't know the proper term) were worn. If it reads good on the level when hot most likely going to need a rebuild. I imagine they have something to pour in one to increase grip on the clutch packs as a bandaid until you can get it rebuilt/swapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    From visiting a different board, I see you found RMIHR. If you had put your location in your signature, I would have told you about it before. Hope you had fun. I really miss being there. Trail rides are today, tomorrow and Wednesday if there is enough interest.
    When I found out it was kinda already too late to take time off from work. I just got back from a week up in the mountains near Ouray, you never can get enough of this scenery in. Sad thing is I commute thru Fairplay every day with the IH

I adjusted the TV linkage tonight and it seems to be doing better, next Tuesday I'll be flushing the tranny and dropping the pan to add a new filter. We shall see
    Last edited by spf150; 08-04-2009 at 04:28 PM.
    1975 200 345 4WD