Thread: Total Mileage on my '79

Default Total Mileage on my '79

Does anyone have any wear indicators or "rules of thumb" for guessing total mileage. My odo says 55k. Is there any semi-reliable way to guess if that is 55, 155, 255, etc?

I am just wondering, and the PO only had the car for 2 years. the CA title says "Not Actual Mileage" for the odometer reading, but it does not specifically say "Exceeds Mechanical Odometer Limits," which is another option.

A lot of the periodic maintenance has not been done. For the past 2 years at least, the PO said he changed the oil 3 times, but did not change trans/xfer case/axle oil or lube anything. I have no idea what kind of life my Scout II led prior to that owner.

Look for wear on the pedals. and grease build up from the drive line

Well, the rubber on the gas and brake pedals look to be in pretty good shape. The corners are a little rounded, but there is still lots of "tread" on the pedals.

The rubber for the clutch pedal has been removed and replaced with a piece of non-skid.

As to the drive line grease, there was a lot of caked on sand and mud on the entire under carriage. I used a de-greaser and pressure washer to see how much rust was on the bottom side of the sheet metal. There is still a little bit of a grease stain on the tunnel around the Cardan joint, but it is hard to judge how much.

Thanks for the suggestions. Here as some pics of the pedals.

[img=http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6664/dscn1359q.th.jpg]
    [img=http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/791/dscn1358y.th.jpg]

You can always ask the previous owners how long it sat around when they had it. That's usually a good indicator of whether it got used or not. If it's spent a lot of it's life sitting around, I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's really only 55k miles.