Thread: 69 scout 800

Default 69 scout 800

well i just got my 69 scout 800 w/ 345 finally started today after a year of sitting in the garage being rebuilt top to bottom the guy who helped me start it says for a first timer pretty impressed.had no clue what to expect but i'm sooo happy!!!hopefully i broke it in right now and she should be on the road for another 40 years!!woooo hoooo

Good stuff. You sure it's a 345 though? That would be quite the extensive build for an 800. I'm sure there's quite a bit you could share if you did a swap.

i am positive it is a 345 at least that is what is stamped on the block.i had it rebuilt from a guy off of this site who gave me a free motor.it cost me 2000$ to have it rebuilt.there was really no problems just a little oil leaking.now i have to get that under control.well i dont know if it was such a smooth idea to put in such a powerful motor with a creeper transmission.i have the four speed wide ratio tranny.i start out in third and shift into fourth.first is good for about two to three mph second is good for about seven mph.if anyone has suggestions about the oil leaks feedback would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by jon g View Post
    i am positive it is a 345 at least that is what is stamped on the block.i had it rebuilt from a guy off of this site who gave me a free motor.it cost me 2000$ to have it rebuilt.there was really no problems just a little oil leaking.now i have to get that under control.well i dont know if it was such a smooth idea to put in such a powerful motor with a creeper transmission.i have the four speed wide ratio tranny.i start out in third and shift into fourth.first is good for about two to three mph second is good for about seven mph.if anyone has suggestions about the oil leaks feedback would be sweet.
    Sounds like you're in low range.

What oil leaks are you talking about?
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    Sounds like you're in low range.

X2, you should be good for almost 10mph in first in high range even with a granny 1st or are you just really exaggerating?

you know now that i think about it i didn't have the tranny cover on in the cab when i test rode and maybe just maybe highly doubtful i am in low range but that thought already crossed my mind while i was on the ground looking at the oil leaks.so i checked to make sure the hubs were on free and not locked and they were free.so now i need to put cover back on and see if i'm in lo or high.on the oil leak front i need to get in the cracks while its running to see or maybe do the blacklight gig it's just too hard to to investigate with a motor thats however many hundreds of degrees.

well allan and stu i do believe you guys were correct the shifter is in low range today i am going to fire it up again and shift it in to 2 hi and test drive again let you guys know tommorow thanks to both of you.i was also wondering what is the purpose of the front lockers if it engages 4 low even when the front lockers are free or lock position?

Quote Originally Posted by jon g View Post
    well allan and stu i do believe you guys were correct the shifter is in low range today i am going to fire it up again and shift it in to 2 hi and test drive again let you guys know tommorow thanks to both of you.i was also wondering what is the purpose of the front lockers if it engages 4 low even when the front lockers are free or lock position?
    The front lockers are to lock the front axle in. Without them engaged, you're only turning the front driveshaft and differential; there's no actual power to the wheels.

my buddy just explained that same process thanks though

well today shifted it in to 2 hi and waaalla i could go a decent speed about 50-55 thanks binder guys.i now cant wait to post pics of both scouts!!!i just need to figure out how???