Thread: Rear spring replacement or rebuild

Default Rear spring replacement or rebuild

My 72 has some saggy springs in the back. I am wondering what is the most economical and best way of restoring the rear ride height. I am also looking at improving my overall handling with this fix. It seems that the new rear springs are bit pricey.

If money is an issue, you could always go with a "helper" spring or maybe add a leaf. That would help a little and is pretty cost-efficient.

Its not that much $ for a spring shop to rebuild them

The most economical thing to do would be to re-arch them yourself. If you have access to a hydraulic press it's a very easy thing to do. Completely dissassemble the spring pack, then take a tape measure and some soapstone and draw a perpindicular line across each spring every 4 inches. Next, chuck the springs into the press (one-by-one of course) and use the press to re-arch the spring at those 4 inch intervals. Count the number of pumps that you use once the press has contacted the spring and use the same number of pumps on each one. Once you have done all the leaves of the spring, reassemble and compare to your other and see what the arch looks like. It's hard to go back, but you can always add more arch if you want. So start out conservative until you get the spring where you want it.