Thread: Dana 44 open front rear conversion

Default Dana 44 open front rear conversion

I am looking to replace the open carrier in my front Dana 44 axle and replace it with a posi. What do you guys think is the best replacement and where is the best place to buy one.

Depends on how many splines are on your axles and what gearing you've got. Looks like Ebay is selling them around 400.00 for a front locker. Haven't found any anywhere else.

a power-lok would be great or a Detroit soft locker. You can get these at a 4x4 store

The only real issue for a front locker is durability. You either need it or you don't, depending on application.

I'm partial to a selectable locker, like an ARB or OX because open diffs get you through almost everything, and there's less stress, especially on the front, when you have open differentials. However, they cost you mucho $$$$$$$$.

Any lite locker or good limited slip should work fine. As to what holds up the best, the loose nut behind the wheel is the one I need to keep properly torqued. Stupid foot breaks more things than poor design.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

A friend of mine that does some casual off roading had suggested an Aussie locker. The reviews were really good from an Off-Road magazine but I know how far that goes. Have any of you guys or know of anybody running this type locker. The rears in my 72 Scout are from a 75 Scout. Can I say that the Dana 44's are a 30 spline or did they make another version. How difficult is this conversion to a locker?

difficulty is different for everybody, but I'm going to tell you no. It is alot of work but not hard work. I would say do the rear first, it is the easier end and will be the most beneficial for wheeling. Then if you decide it was too big of a job you don't have to do the front, or you can have someone else do it.

bringing back a dead post but...

Any updates on your locker search? Did you end up getting any/installing yourself?

I am shopping around for lockers right now and just want to hear different opinions.

I have a Spartan Locker in my front axle. It's similar to the Aussie Locker, since it goes inside the open carrier.

I figured it would be more beneficial in the front because of the weight of the vehicle, and it does wonders.

It's an all day job to put it in, since you have to pull the axle shafts and carrier. If you replace the carrier or ring/pinion, then you need to set up the gears, which takes more skill and effort.

The Aussie locker is supposed to be good for the money
    My buddy put one in a Scout II and says it's the best mod he ever did including EFI

Aussie and Yukon both look very promising for the $.