Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 345 Conversion

Default 345 Conversion

I'm getting ready to swap over to the 345 from the 258 inline 6. All I need to really do is change the motor mounts over from the donor rig into my current one, correct? I have a new tranny with the correct bellhousing going in also. Will the same radiator work? Thanks in advance.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Pretty sure that's most of what's involved, along with some wiring and new electrical parts. I swapped a diesel into my current frame (which was a factory inline 6) and the diesels use the same engine mounts as the v-8's so I know it's not hard. Just make sure you tack weld a few places, then run at least 2 beads on top and bottom of the engine mount. Your radiator should work with your v-8; I don't see why they'd change it from one engine to another except for the diesel.

Wiring I can deal with no problem, just got done re-doing the whole harness front to back in this thing. What new eletrical parts do I need?
    '71 Basterd Scout 2

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

Not positive, but I don't think the ignition stuff will work like the ignition control module. Maybe it will though; IH used to make a lot of stuff universal to keep production costs down. I've never actually seen an inline 6 engine in a Scout.

do you have all the correct brackets for the 345 to run your alternator, pumps and what not? other wise you better find them. also, do you have all the correct brackets and linkages to hook the carb up to your automatic transmission if going that route?
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by 78ssii View Post
    do you have all the correct brackets for the 345 to run your alternator, pumps and what not? other wise you better find them. also, do you have all the correct brackets and linkages to hook the carb up to your automatic transmission if going that route?
    I just got done rebuilding the 345, it's a complete motor with alternator and water pump...I'm running the T-19 4 speed. No auto tranny's here. Also with regards to the ignition, I'm running a custom push button start with a brand new wiring harness that I just finished putting in. So I shouldn't have a problem with that section of things.
    Last edited by okkool77; 08-04-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2

Sounds like you got most everything worked out then; is your frame set up for an auto or a manual? That's the only other thing I can think of... because manuals have the clutch pivot point on the frame.

I currently have the 258 inline 6 with the T-18 tranny, so it's already setup for the manual. Any nasty supprises that I should be aware of?
    '71 Basterd Scout 2

Not anymore. That was the last hiccup I could think of. Good luck with the swap!

Quote Originally Posted by lindstromjd View Post
    Sounds like you got most everything worked out then; is your frame set up for an auto or a manual? That's the only other thing I can think of... because manuals have the clutch pivot point on the frame.
    What modifications do you need to make to the frame to swap it from auto to manual?