Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator Upgrade???

Default Alternator Upgrade???

I have a 78 scout II, with 345. I am going to put a taurus fan in while I am replacing radiator. My current alternator has been taken out and shot put across the parking lot. I am looking for a 130 amp( or enough to run electric fan, radio, and KC lights) upgrade/replacement. Is there a drop in replacement out there at that amperage? A buddy posed the question on Binderplanet and received an answer regarding Lester numbers... I don't have a lester secret decoder ring..so I have no idea what the heck that is... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    78 Scout II
    345 V8

I do know that the alternators on a Scout were the same ones used by Ford for quite a while, if that helps at all. Otherwise, it's not hard to modify the alternator mounting bracket to make it work right so it lines up with your belts. If you've got access to a cutting wheel and a welder, all you have to do is move the two mounting holes to make it work. I had to do that on my diesel when I got a new alternator for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 78scouII View Post
    I have a 78 scout II, with 345. I am going to put a taurus fan in while I am replacing radiator. My current alternator has been taken out and shot put across the parking lot. I am looking for a 130 amp( or enough to run electric fan, radio, and KC lights) upgrade/replacement. Is there a drop in replacement out there at that amperage? A buddy posed the question on Binderplanet and received an answer regarding Lester numbers... I don't have a lester secret decoder ring..so I have no idea what the heck that is... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I am about to by a delco remy from auto zone for a 85 fleetwood cadilac, 120 amp 90 bucks. Will let you know if it works.

you better go get the one you shot put across the parking lot so you can have the pully put on to the new one.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

I went to the autopsrt store and bought an alternator for a 85 cadilac front wheel drive limo. It puts out 120 amp. At least that's what it says. I had to replace the pulley. It came with singled serpentine. The pulley was a bear to remove. I ended up going to pep boys and they swapped it for me at no charge.

Not sure the amperage capability of the 78. My 65 is 30 something stock. I had to upgrade the voltage regulator to go to a 60 amp alternator. May be worth noting you may also have to find a regulator to handle the high amperage. I put on a 100 amp ford alternator off of a 66 mustang. Also utilized the mustang's voltage regulator.

90 amp not 100. I run 2 batteries as well. No stereo, this is for the welder, winch and compressor.
    Last edited by Bugflipper; 08-08-2009 at 04:06 AM.

Default Alternator upgrade

With the large amperage from your new alternator, better check the wireing as the stock setup was for a much less powerful unit.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bennett View Post
    With the large amperage from your new alternator, better check the wireing as the stock setup was for a much less powerful unit.
    Bill
    Amperage won't go that high until needed. Incidentally I upgraded to a 120 amp unit and I still have issues with my a/c throughing the system into discharge. I met a guy this weekend that runs 3 cooling fans for condenser, power steering and tranny fluid, a second compressor for on board air and an air conditioner. He is running it all on the 60 amp alternator. makes you blame the wires doesn't it. I though I had issues because I had to try to start several times but later i used a screwdriver across the starter solenoid and found it works better so some of the original wiring and po later modifications may be to blame. With a screw driver it starts every time. I verified a good ground to the motor, now i think I need to verify good chassis grounds and the point where all the gauges ground to the chassis. Any one know where that is? Oh I forgot to mention this. There should be in the starting circuit the key switch, neutral safety switch and a vacume switch. I have often seen these bypassed with a momentary button switch using tiny wire. I suspect this may be the gremlin I am looking for.

The AC Delco alternators are available in 80, 100, 120 Amps. Doing a 6 Volt + ground to 12 Volt - ground, I installed one on a non-IH truck. If you get one with a self-energizing regulator, you can do a "Delco one-wire alternator installation" (web search). You run a heavy (and short) wire from the BATT terminal of the alternator to the + terminal of the battery. That is all that is required, and it works great. This also takes the ALTERNATOR (ammeter) gauge in the dash (a known fire starter) out of the circuit. With the AC Delco alternator, you can also do a traditional 3-wire installation. Be certain to get that ALTERNATOR gauge out of the circuit. I put both leads on one post.

The electrical should be handled due to me "trying" a complete re-wire...I have no option now since I have already taken the dash off and started cutting wires. Thanks for the help guys... I will let you know how it goes.
    78 Scout II
    345 V8