Thread: Old Question new answers? Hot Start problems

Default Old Question new answers? Hot Start problems

Hi I wanted to make the changes to my 78 Scout II ss for the past couple of years but just have not gotten around to it yet. It's the standard problem of not starting when hot (especially true here in AZ). I feel my starter is fine as is my relatively new alternator and solenoid. The cables from Battery are 2-0 ga and in good health as well. I wanted to rig it up with a remote solenoid and the follow diagrams outline what I was planning. I wanted to get any of the expert's opinions on what would be the optimal fix and compare them. I did up these diagrams a couple of years ago and could use some help as I usually am less inclined with electrical issues than mechanical ones. Thanks for all and any input/help. AZ~Rich.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AZ~Rich
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you are unfamiliar with wiring diagrams, even a simple one can be confusing. If your eyesight is bad, they tend to look jumbled.

Step 1. Find a place to mount the solenoid so that the wires I'm about to mention can be moved (existing) or added (new) to that location.

On the starter, there's a big fat battery cable. There is also some other wires on that same terminal. These wires are going to go to one terminal on the remote solenoid. Either large terminal will work.

From the other terminal, the new battery cable will go to where you just took the wires off. This is the switch that puts power to the starter and removes it when you let go of the key. It's already better, because now the main feed to the rest of the truck is where you can reach it.

There is a small wire attached to the S terminal. That wire goes to the trigger wire on the new remote solenoid. It's what trips the solenoid and switches the voltage.

There are multiple ways to do the next step. What you're trying to do is put voltage right back on the S terminal (top terminal of the starter solenoid, not the bottom terminal) when you turn the key to "START." (That's what the wire you just moved does. Now it trips the remote solenoid instead of the starter solenoid).

Since the remote solenoid switches when you turn the key to START, you can either
    (a)put a jumper from the B terminal to the S terminal, or you can
    (b) put a wire from the "I" terminal on the new solenoid down to the S terminal, or you can
    (c) put two wires together from where the new battery cable is connected, then split them up when they get to the starter.

I prefer option C, which means I wrap the new S wire and new B wire with electrical tape all the way to make it easier to dress. It's the most work, but it gives me time to drink a beer. Option B keeps the wires separate for easier testing at the remote solenoid, and may be the smartest option. Option A is the easiest, but you lose the ability to trigger the solenoid without triggering the starter motor when troubleshooting.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak