Thread: Scout II Electrical - Lighting

Default Scout II Electrical - Lighting

I have been visited by a lighting issue, for which I need advice. Headlights and backup lights work; tail lights (including brake and turn indicator) and front parking lights (including turn indicator), and all four side markers do not work. Fuses are all good; connections to fuse block are good; I replaced the headlight switch in the dash; I cleaned up the body grounds at all four corners. What to do next to find & fix problem?

Did they all go out at once? If not, over time I have had to replace the contacts that touch the bulb on parking and turn signal contacts. They were worn and had very little metal left to make contact with.

John:

I had not driven it in several weeks, but they had all been functioning last time out, which is why I was thinking it was something central to all. There are three separate fuses for the lights that are out. I also found a 20-Amp fuse housed in a package that looks like a flasher. It has two leads and there is continuity between them. I will get out my multi-meter and see if there is any Voltage present at the contacts.

Thanks, Steve Rose

The response to my call for help has been underwhelming.

did you check all the bulbs for grounding or power?
    I have had a problem like that and it was not grounded good you will be able to tell if there is only a low amp reading to any of your dash lights or running lights

No current; 0 Volts at the sockets. I verified the grounds. It has to be something somewhat central to lose lights at the front and back of the truck at the same time on three separate fused circuits.

No matter now, I sold the Scout Tuesday night.

I just worked the same issue with my 73 II. My hibeam switch was the culprit. Just needed cleaning and parts moved around, worked fine after.

For the marker lights, they get power off rear tail and front running light. There are 2 wires going to them that splits off the main power wire. Check in front and aft of the splice with a voltage tester (stab the wire method). Alot of times the copper inside the plastic will corrode all the way threw, but the plastic on the outside will look fine. Too bad I didn't get to this til 0330 today...might of been some help to your problem. The new owner might find it useful. Later.
    Last edited by 73ScoutDude; 08-19-2009 at 09:21 PM.

the brake, turn and tail lights are all the same bulb. you checked the fuse, did you change the turn signal relay?

My money is on the relay