Thread: 1980 Scout Steering wheel lock

Default 1980 Scout Steering wheel lock

I am going to wire in a switch that will bi pass the key ignition and turn on all power but am afraid my steering wheel will lock at some point.

I canít ever remember the steering column locking with the key in off position and was wondering if mine just broke or all scouts donít have steering locks.

It would be pretty bad if I was driving and all of the sudden the lock engaged so I want to make sure that wonít happen.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

As I recall, the auto's had key locks, and the manual's didn't. I know my 1980 doesn't have one and I've got the 4 speed.

Thats wierd I have a Auto 345 V8. Does anyone else have a steering wheel lock?

Default steering wheel lock

My 77 is an auto 345 with a steering wheel lock. I have to disengage it since I lost my keys and do an ignition bypass. How did you end up wiring your system?

I have an '80 345 Auto w/ steering lock.

I also have a 77 auto with 345 and it has a steering wheel lock.

You could probably just burr the pin that comes forward and locks in the teeth of the plate that is just above the turn signal cam. That seems like it would be pretty easy to do...much easier than grinding the teeth down. Don't remember that whole mechanism, but maybe the locking pin could even be completely removed. Can't see any harm in that....mine only locks intermittently anyway.

Anyway, you're gonna need to pull the steering wheel.

Steve
    1977 Scout II w/ 345
    I'm Rick James, beeeotch!