Thread: Gettin my tC1100 drivable for winter

Default Gettin my tC1100 drivable for winter

I'm working on my 1964 C1100 trying to get it driveable for this winter. The main things I need help with are the windshield wiper motor and the heater. The wiper motor doesn't work. I have 12V to the power wire into the switch but I don't know which wires off of the motor go to which. There's a green, a red, and a black. I looked it up on the Napa website and it said my wipers are supposed to be air controlled but... I dunno. Anyone know where I should start on that?

On the heater, I have three plugs under the dash and 2 prongs on the heater control, don't know whats what or if my heater control is even any good. Is anyone familiar with these systems?

Thanks for any help, I'm just trying to get it safe enough to drive this winter so my wife can use my good truck.

The standard wipers for a 1964 model were likely vacuum operated. Unless you add a vacuum reservoir, the wipers become intermittent wipers when you open the throttle (engine vacuum drops). Your electric wipers were either an option (most likely) or were added by a previous owner.

They're definitely electrical but I don't know which wires are which.

Quote Originally Posted by rose359 View Post
    The standard wipers for a 1964 model were likely vacuum operated. Unless you add a vacuum reservoir, the wipers become intermittent wipers when you open the throttle (engine vacuum drops). Your electric wipers were either an option (most likely) or were added by a previous owner.
    The travelalls had electric wipers. The 64 scout was vacuum.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by JTyler View Post
    I'm working on my 1964 C1100 trying to get it driveable for this winter. The main things I need help with are the windshield wiper motor and the heater. The wiper motor doesn't work. I have 12V to the power wire into the switch but I don't know which wires off of the motor go to which. There's a green, a red, and a black. I looked it up on the Napa website and it said my wipers are supposed to be air controlled but... I dunno. Anyone know where I should start on that?

On the heater, I have three plugs under the dash and 2 prongs on the heater control, don't know whats what or if my heater control is even any good. Is anyone familiar with these systems?

Thanks for any help, I'm just trying to get it safe enough to drive this winter so my wife can use my good truck.
    Start with the heater. The blower has two speeds. The switch puts some resistance wire in the circuit to cut the voltage down. You can test the blower motor simply by hooking it up directly to 12 volts. You should be able to figure out which wire is positive. It may run backwards, but I don't think so.

The wiper gets its ground from the body. There are three wires going to the wiper motor. The switch also serves as a circuit breaker. I'll look at the diagram when I get home, because I forget which wire is which until I look at it. I may have an original manual on that, but the only complete one I have is a reprint. I still might be able to get a clear picture.

Coonrods may have the parts you need.
    Allan E.

Well, I spent a little time on it today and here's what I've come up with so far...

The heater motor is good. I hooked it up straight to 12V. There's 2 wires that come out of the motor. One blows high when hooked up, one blows low. The heater switch appears to be broken though. See the attached pic. It has two terminals that the motor wires were hooked up to, but the bottom is gone where maybe the power should go? Might explain why I have an extra wire.

As far as the wipers go, I have power to the switch, but connecting it to any of the wires from the wiper motor don't do anything. Maybe my switch is bad, maybe I can't connect it like that, I have no idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I got some regular 3 position switches, how could I wire the wiper motor to it so it would work right?

the deal was that it wasnt getting power to the wiper switch...the green is power and red and black were switch legs....straight wired it from battery with inline fuse for power hooked up 2 switch legs no problems.Heater switch is not working though.

The heater is pretty easy to hook up, especially if you can deal with only having one speed. You'll need the right switch eventually, but you can run the blower hot from 12 volts. The switch should be rated for at least 20 amps. I would install a 30 amp toggle switch if I went that route, or else use a smaller switch and interface a relay to handle the current. If you run the heater and defroster at the same time, you need the fan on high anyway. Low speed is for when you are all warmed up, which is to say trips of over 30 minutes...
    Allan E.