Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scout 800a axle questions

Default Scout 800a axle questions

Hello everyone. I want to start by appologizing for making my first post a technical question like this, but I need some serious help, and I am sure that there is someone on here that can provide me with the info that I need. I searched your site, but was not able to come across anything with the parameters that I was using.

I am looking at purchasing some type of Scout based vehicle. The reason that I say that is that none of the stock body is there, just some piece of homemade garbage with Scout running gears, and a hydraulic dump bed made by Knox. From what I have found on the net, I am guessing it to be a 1969 Scout 800a due to the t-case being a Spicer 18, and the rear diff being a centered D44 with flanged hubs. My question is if this rear axle is the same width as a Scout II? I am looking at purchasing this axle as it has the 4.27 gears that I need for another swap, and the Scout II housing that I have is missing an axle shaft, and I am having a hard time locating one in Central WV. This axle would work very well if it is the same width. Thank you in advance for any type of help that you can give me.

Default Scout 800a?

A Scout 800a will have a Dana 20 transfer case, not a Dana 18. The D18 has an offset output and a D20 will have a centered output. A 800a will have a centered, flanged D44 but so will late 68 800 and 170-71 800B and 4.27 was the second most popular gear set after the 3.73 in 1969-71 but they could be had in all production years.

Scout 800 and Scout II have very different axle configurations. You can put SII brakes on a flanged D44R and swap out the carriers/gears but the axles will not interchange. The Scout 800 rear is narrower and the perch spacing is narrower.

Stu, Thanks for the reply! I am for sure that this thing has a Spicer 18 t-case, as it is offset, and the driveshaft is running at an angle to a centered rear diff. How much more narrow is the 44 from and 800 then the 44 from a Scout II. The reason that I ask is that I want to rule out the possibility that someone didnt swap in a Scout II rear into a 800, or didnt take a Spicer 18 t-case and swap it into a pre-74 Scout II. I do believe that the front axle is a Dana 30, but I dont know enough about the Dana 27 to tell the difference. Is there a difference between the frames of the 800 and Scout II? I can get this axle for $100, which would be a good deal if it will work, as I will not have to buy one set of gears. However, I dont want to waste my money, or my time pulling it if it will not work for my application. Thanks again for the help!

This sounds like the running gear for a 64 or earlier scout 80. The t-case change was for the 65 model year, and so was the offset rear axle housing. The D44 was an option, and the front was a D27 regardless. All the scouts came with 152 c.i.d. engines in the years where there was an offset rear carrier. The only two ratios offered were 4.27 and 4.88, although with IH, you probably could get 5 series gears for the rear axle on mail delivery trucks. They'd do anything the customer requested if they could.

The Scout II and Scout 80/800 have different frames, and the spring perches do not line up.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    This sounds like the running gear for a 64 or earlier scout 80. The t-case change was for the 65 model year, and so was the offset rear axle housing. The D44 was an option, and the front was a D27 regardless. All the scouts came with 152 c.i.d. engines in the years where there was an offset rear carrier. The only two ratios offered were 4.27 and 4.88, although with IH, you probably could get 5 series gears for the rear axle on mail delivery trucks. They'd do anything the customer requested if they could.

The Scout II and Scout 80/800 have different frames, and the spring perches do not line up.
    Sounds like he has a little of everything going on there. My guess is that it is a swapped in later 800 rear as it is a flanged center pumpkin model, likely from the 800A/B. The rest sounds like a Scout 80 setup.

Check us out on Old Dominion Binders http://www.olddominionbinders.org/ there are a few folks from WVA MD and VA that might have a Scout II axle for you.

HMMN re-read this thing and wondered if the thing has a dump bed how does it get juice? I guess it is possible to have swapped in a D18 with a PTO to run a pump. Many of the PTO setups that ran on Scout 80s would not be compatible with Scout 800 D20s so maybe they just swapped in the case and bullgear to make it happen.
    Last edited by stu simpson; 08-14-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: musings

Stu,

Did you ever find out about that rear that you said that you might have laying around? If you are willing to part with it, would you be willing to PM me a number that I can reach you at so that we can talk. I tried to PM you but it seems that I am not allowed to until I have so many posts. Thanks.

Josh

Default axle

I do have it, please call me.

443-277-8258

the private messaging system has not proven to work well as yet on this board. maybe as time goes along folks will accumulate enough posts to make it useable.

Cowboy;
    Does this dump vehicle have the original frame still? If so, you might check the front left area for the serial number, and with that you can get an idea of the frame's time of manufacture.

This guy that has it says that he picked it up in Indiana or Illinois, and that they were custom made by some company out there. He said that they were used to haul grain out of the fields. In response to an earlier question, the dump was powered by a hand pump in the cab. It is actually a pretty neat set-up. Thanks Stu, and I will call you here soon.

Stu,

I have been trying to get ahold of you about that rear axle. Can you please give me a call this evening. 304-364-8677. Thanks man.

Josh