Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 2inch or 4inch lift.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    33

    Default 2inch or 4inch lift.

    I am about to get a lift kit from Rough Country. It's a promo from work that I won....so I don't have the option of any other MFG's. So here is two part question. I prefer to have a 2 inch lift due to me not wanting to change steering box...cut fenders..etc..and I like the lower look.

    1. What size lift should I get 2" or 4"?

    2. I have 15 x 8.5 Rockcrawler rims...what size tires should I put on them?




    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    78 Scout II
    345 V8

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Posts
    495

    Default

    I've used the 4 inch before without any problems. It's essentially a 2 inch spring lift and 2 inch shackle lift. You can run up to 33x12.50 tires without any rubbing or fender problems at all. And you don't need to change the steering box angle; it works just fine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindstromjd View Post
    I've used the 4 inch before without any problems. It's essentially a 2 inch spring lift and 2 inch shackle lift. You can run up to 33x12.50 tires without any rubbing or fender problems at all. And you don't need to change the steering box angle; it works just fine.
    I used to have 33x12.50 tires on my 4" lift, but I had to drop down to 32x11.50 tires because I was rubbing whenever I turned to sharp in one direction, but if you have new body bushing's...Lindstomjd is correct. Go with the 4" lift, you'll like it much better.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

    "Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

    David H. Petraeus for President 2012

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
    I used to have 33x12.50 tires on my 4" lift, but I had to drop down to 32x11.50 tires because I was rubbing whenever I turned to sharp in one direction, but if you have new body bushing's...Lindstomjd is correct. Go with the 4" lift, you'll like it much better.
    One way to get away with not rubbing tires would also be getting spacers. I think a full set costs about 150.00 and would completely get rid of rubbing against the frame. They also help a little with roll stability by widening out your truck's stance. I'm running a set of 2" spacers on mine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
    I used to have 33x12.50 tires on my 4" lift, but I had to drop down to 32x11.50 tires because I was rubbing whenever I turned to sharp in one direction, but if you have new body bushing's...Lindstomjd is correct. Go with the 4" lift, you'll like it much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindstromjd View Post
    One way to get away with not rubbing tires would also be getting spacers. I think a full set costs about 150.00 and would completely get rid of rubbing against the frame. They also help a little with roll stability by widening out your truck's stance. I'm running a set of 2" spacers on mine.
    Adjust the stops on your front axle there are bolts that thread in or out to adjust how far your wheels turn. this will cure the problem without anything but a 9/16 wrench.
    4" lifts don't require any mods if you run 33" tires. if you get bump steer after the lift is installed you might consider a 4" drop pitman arm ,these are readily available for around $80-100.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZ scout guy View Post
    Adjust the stops on your front axle there are bolts that thread in or out to adjust how far your wheels turn. this will cure the problem without anything but a 9/16 wrench.
    4" lifts don't require any mods if you run 33" tires. if you get bump steer after the lift is installed you might consider a 4" drop pitman arm ,these are readily available for around $80-100.
    I had already adjusted the stops on my front axle, yet they still rubbed. The cause on my rig was worn out body bushings.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

    "Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

    David H. Petraeus for President 2012

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
    I had already adjusted the stops on my front axle, yet they still rubbed. The cause on my rig was worn out body bushings.
    Longer bolts?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZ scout guy View Post
    Longer bolts?
    At the time I did change out the bolts, but its a moot point now. I have pleny of clearance once I went SOA.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

    "Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

    David H. Petraeus for President 2012

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    33

    Default

    good advice on both sides.. I am gonna start out with the 2 inch and 32x11.50 for now. I can always change down the road.....I just finished replacing all the body mounts..and if your looking to burn an entire day with a grinder, cheater pipes, and the entire swear dictionary..I highly recommend changing body mounts...wow....didn't realize how much work that was gonna be.
    78 Scout II
    345 V8

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Angelo, Tx.
    Posts
    6

    Default lift and tires

    You might also consider a 2.5" lift. Thats what I just did. Does'nt sound like much, but might be what your looking for. Just my $.02.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •