Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: won't enage in 4wd

Default won't enage in 4wd

My 1966 scout 800 has the stock dana 27 front diff and the front drive line will lock in but the front tires will not spin. Can anyone help?

You locked in each of the hubs? Could be a broken or missing axle shaft. Since one side would be spinning free, the other side wouldn't turn.

I forgot to lock in my hubs one time, spent 20 minutes crawling around and thinking about all the possibilities. Some days it's better to sleep an extra hour. Some days it's better to get up early so you have time to correct your mistakes.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Yes I locked both hubs in. Took the hubs apart and seem to be working like they should.

I would also like to know what other axles would fit under my scout

Ok I figured out why. Someone had welded the spider gears and now its broke and there was pieces of the gears in the pumpkin. Do I need new axles? And how do I fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by 1966scout View Post
    Ok I figured out why. Someone had welded the spider gears and now its broke and there was pieces of the gears in the pumpkin. Do I need new axles? And how do I fix this?
    Your axles may be okay. You'll have to look at them. They have to be pulled out a little to insert a new carrier/ring/pinion anyway.

If the axle shafts are not damaged, just re-use them. You'll need to replace the gears and such, and you'll need to clean out the axle housing/tubes really well before you reassemble it all.

Front axles for early scouts aren't hard to find. It just depends on your area. I can't recall for sure, but I believe the later D30 from an 800 (800B in 71, anything then or earlier) will bolt right on, too.
    Allan E.

Ok I will see what I can find, thanks

what part of the country are you from? I know where i can find some axles and gears if you need them. let me know

Washington

What part?
    Allan E.