Thread: Ignition Specs

Default Ignition Specs

Im new to scouts I have a 76 Travler which i Love and i Had to install a different motor and its missing so im going to do a tune-up on it. But i can't find any Specs for it i was just wondering if some could help. I would like to know what the best spark plug and the gap, the timing and dwell, and the point gap your help well be very apprciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKATTACK76 View Post
    Im new to scouts I have a 76 Travler which i Love and i Had to install a different motor and its missing so im going to do a tune-up on it. But i can't find any Specs for it i was just wondering if some could help. I would like to know what the best spark plug and the gap, the timing and dwell, and the point gap your help well be very apprciated.
    Which engine did you install?

Did you use the old distributor? They stopped using points beginning in 75. If you have points, set the dwell at 30 degrees, plus or minus 2 degrees. That's pretty typical for a V8.

Best plug for an SV series IH engine (266,304,345,392) is the Autolite 85.
    Best timing depends on which engine and at what elevation. Use 650 for your final warm idle speed when you time it and tweek the carb.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Yes I used the '73 distributor. I installed a 304 out of a '73 Pickup, had no idea i would have to swap so many things. Let me guess the coils different from '73 and '76 aren't they? I live at about 1100 ft to 1500ft of elevation. Any advice on how I can get that darn distributer loose.
    Last edited by BLACKATTACK76; 08-18-2009 at 01:09 AM.

Yes I used the '73 distributor. I installed a 304 out of a '73 Pickup, had no idea i would have to swap so many things. Let me guess the coils different from '73 and '76 aren't they? I live at about 1100 ft to 1500ft of elevation. Any advice on how I can get that darn distributer loose.
    The coils are the same, with 1.5 ohms across the primary, but the ignition wires are different. The START and RUN circuits are wired through the gold box on the 76, and through the starter for START and the ballast wire for RUN on the 73.

Set the timing at 0-5 degrees BTDC. It will run better at 5, but may ping, so you may need less advance or to use higher octane fuel. If you use the gold box, there is no need to set the dwell. Vacuum should be blocked off to the carb on the advance so you don't leak vacuum, and you will need to adjust the timing a couple of times as the idle changes and needs to be re-adjusted. Don't forget to time off of number 8, not number 1.

What I normally do is get it running and tweaked by hot wiring it, then install the permanent wiring. The harnesses you had on the other engine, along with the complete distributor, should do the trick.

The distributors are removed simply by removing the adjusting clamp and twisting the shaft clear of the cam gears. If your old engine was seized, it may have locked the cam tight against the distributor, so you'd have to clear the obstruction, maybe in as simple a manner as turning the engine backwards a little. Had this happen on my school bus when I broke number 1 connecting rod and it locked up the engine.
    Last edited by Allan E.; 08-18-2009 at 04:00 AM.
    Allan E.

Thanks for the info. I used all the wiring form the '76 so i think the gold box is still intacked but don't know what you mean by the gold box. The '73 is the one I'm running and i tried the electronic but it didn't start up so I have decided to keep the points with the '73. Also thanks for the hint ont eh #8 I had no clue.

Thanks for the info. I used all the wiring form the '76 so i think the gold box is still intacked but don't know what you mean by the gold box. The '73 is the one I'm running and i tried the electronic but it didn't start up so I have decided to keep the points with the '73. Also thanks for the hint ont eh #8 I had no clue.
    The Holley electronic distributor from the 76 has a 2 wire plug on it that fires a module located on the firewall. Originally, they were gold colored. It's just an electronic spark module, like in a ford of that vintage. The pickup in the Holley is kind of touchy. .08" gap with a brass feeler gauge for optimum use. If I have one that doesn't work, I usually just swap in a points dizzy and sell the other one, or put it in the spare parts pile.
    Allan E.

Thanks for all the help i got her firing good but now it hesitates every time I step on the throtle in gear=. Although I think it was kind of doing that before with the old motor its been a while since its ran. Im rebuilding a carb for my
    '79 Scout II so I'll just use that one. Thanks once again for the information on the Scouts.