Thread: What carb for a 4bbl spreadbore on a 345

Default What carb for a 4bbl spreadbore on a 345

I just picked up an rebuild 345 that has a squarbore intake manifold for a 4bbl carb, but I need some help to identify what carb to put on there.

The motor is going into a 69 IH 1200 pickup.

The motor has carb clearance issues due to the highrise thermostat housing on it, so a friend recommended that I get a Carter AFB that would be likely to fit.

Then I went to Napa and they want me to give them a model number - so that's where I'm stuck. They said there are so many varieties that fit various linkage setups that I need to be more specific.

The forum won't let me post a picture cuz I'm a 0 - oh well - I have a pic I can make available if anyone is interested or if it helps the cause

The engine is just a stock rebuild with the spreadbore added. I'm not looking for super power or anything, just want good reliable delivery and regular old get-up-and-go if asked for.

Any tips on how I can get a good carb for this motor and make it easy to hookup to a 69 IH pickup linkage would rock.

Thx, Scott

I have had good luck with the Edelbrock 1404/5/6. It might require some tuning, but it is a simple carb and parts are available. The manual takes a little bit of study, but once you figure out what they're talking about, it's not hard to estimate which rod/jet changes will work for you. A vacuum gauge is your friend here.

The stock 392 that year used a Holley, I think a 4160, which should also work for the 345. The nice thing about a 4 barrel is that it allows you to have the advantage of a small cfm carb.

A thermoquad was used in the final years of the Scout II w/345. Good carb if you can find one that's in working condition, often on old caddies. A lot of people don't like them, but when they work, they're pretty good.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Over 20 years ago, Edelbrock bought the rights to the Carter 9000-series AFB carburetors and calls them the Performer AFB series. I'd probably recommend the electric-choke 1403 or the manual-choke 1404 which are 500cfm.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erformer.shtml

I searched the forum for "Edelbrock" and "Linkage" and came up with this thread:

http://www.binderbulletin.org/showth...lbrock+linkage

Default Quadra Jet

A Q-Jet from a 1985 Dodge pick-up would be a good fit for a spreadbore intake. That truck had 727 transmission and a very similar throttle linkage setup to IHC trucks so you should be able hook it right up to your linkage. Also, the fuel inlet comes in from the right side not the front as in most GM applications.

This is what I am running on my 345 and it works far better than any Holley I've had before (small primaries work great for the SV engine). I got a rebuilt one from a gent on eBay.

Default 4 bbl

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    I have had good luck with the Edelbrock 1404/5/6. It might require some tuning, but it is a simple carb and parts are available. The manual takes a little bit of study, but once you figure out what they're talking about, it's not hard to estimate which rod/jet changes will work for you. A vacuum gauge is your friend here.

The stock 392 that year used a Holley, I think a 4160, which should also work for the 345. The nice thing about a 4 barrel is that it allows you to have the advantage of a small cfm carb.

A thermoquad was used in the final years of the Scout II w/345. Good carb if you can find one that's in working condition, often on old caddies. A lot of people don't like them, but when they work, they're pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    A Q-Jet from a 1985 Dodge pick-up would be a good fit for a spreadbore intake. That truck had 727 transmission and a very similar throttle linkage setup to IHC trucks so you should be able hook it right up to your linkage. Also, the fuel inlet comes in from the right side not the front as in most GM applications.

This is what I am running on my 345 and it works far better than any Holley I've had before (small primaries work great for the SV engine). I got a rebuilt one from a gent on eBay.
    The stock squarebore was a 4160, stock spreadbore is a Thermoquad, which is on my Wagonmaster. Rebuilt Q-Jets have been running $135-150 on Ebay. M. Mayben on the IHOnly forums is rebuilding Thermoquads to order. The new, off the shelf Holley carb would be a 4165 which is the spreadbore model. I think the 4165 has a minimum CFM of 450. The 4160 is 390 and the next step up is 470, also a good carb. The new mechanical choke model is about $250 and the one with an electric choke is $350.

Default Thanks for all the great info

You guys are great!!!! Thanks for all the info. I should be able to find something and get going on the next steps of this project.

Thanks guys!

Regards, Scott