Thread: Tanks

Default Tanks

I got a 68 IH 80 series that the tanks are rusted out. Got 2 on the way. Anybody got any experience with changing them out that could give me some advice. I got Polyethylene tanks as replacements that will need to be strapped down i think.

New to this thread thing...gonna try to edit this post since I found some good info.

I got a 4 banger w/ a turbo. It starts OK but seems like it is a little sensitive when cold. I don't quite have the starting/warming up system down yet so that may be why. Once I do get it idling well, It will start smoking 3 to 4 mins into the idle. Small amounts at first and then progressively worse. Its white smoke. I can rev the motor for 15 secs or so and it will stop smoking for a couple of minutes. What do you think? You think it has something to do with the turbo?
    Last edited by turbo; 03-21-2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Found some info

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I got a 68 IH 80 series that the tanks are rusted out. Got 2 on the way. Anybody got any experience with changing them out that could give me some advice. I got Polyethylene tanks as replacements that will need to be strapped down i think.

New to this thread thing...gonna try to edit this post since I found some good info.

I got a 4 banger w/ a turbo. It starts OK but seems like it is a little sensitive when cold. I don't quite have the starting/warming up system down yet so that may be why. Once I do get it idling well, It will start smoking 3 to 4 mins into the idle. Small amounts at first and then progressively worse. Its white smoke. I can rev the motor for 15 secs or so and it will stop smoking for a couple of minutes. What do you think? You think it has something to do with the turbo?
    The 152 turbo is like any other gas engine. Needs to be tweaked.

Check to see if there is oil on any of the plugs. Might be you are getting some blow by. Might just be condensation in the exhaust. Could even be a slight head gasket leak of coolant. The smell of the smoke will tell you.

The engines of that era did not warm up very nicely. That's why there is a manual choke. The exhaust can get a little bit nasty if you're running too rich.

Didn't know there were turbos offered in 68. The scout 80 was made from 61-65. Only turbos I have seen were in the 64/65 models.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks Alan,
    I believe you are correct. The previous owner isn't sure of anything. I just talked to him. He told me he wasn't sure the year. He also told me that he had that turbo lathed out because they could not find a gasket kit to fit the original size. He thinks that oil is seeping into the exhaust from the turbo. He didn't have the specs on the lathe that was done. Any ideas how I can find out the year? Any ideas about this turbo problem possibility?

There is a tag on the firewall with the serial number. Roy Ireland has been keeping a log of serial numbers so that the year can be determined. This can be found on binderplanet.com, and links to it are also on justIH.org. Both use the same vBulletin software found here, and the sign up proceedure is the same.

The turbo used is often said to be the same as the one found on corvairs. I don't know what the PO did to it, but it's not hard to find or make gaskets for applications such as this.

There was a problem with a lean condition on these turbos, and it was common to hole the number one piston. It's not something you want to run without it being properly tweaked.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak