Thread: SBC 350 starting problems

Default SBC 350 starting problems

So when i got my vehicle the engine worked alright, started right up. Ive done alot of work since then, replaced the intake manifold, which involved taking the distrib out, new plugs, and a bunch of other new stuff. Also i upgraded from a crappy fuel pump to a good eddlebrock fuel pump with a regulator, my problem seems to be that the engine is flooding or something. It backfires flame out the carb, and sometimes out the exhaust as well but never starts. I didnt mess with the valves , or anything like that. Im thinking it has to do with the ditributor being taken out and put back in, or the new much higher GPH / PSI fuel pump flooding it. Would the carb need to be readjusted to a much lower mixture with the new higher flow pump? or should that not matter... im stumped

I don't know much about this stuff haha, thanks guys.
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Sounds like you may have the distributor 180* out.
    I Timothy 1:12 "And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;"

JOE

Were gona test it in the morning, we think it might be. Theres a good chance and were keeping our fingers crossed
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.

~T.J.

i would guess the 180 out or if you took all the wires off at the same time you might have them on out of order. the order is the same as a 345 but timed off of 1 not 8.

when your distributor is in correctly the rotor should be aimed at the 1 post. they may be in the right order but off by one.

Ah that makes sense, ill look into it today and hopefully my brother and I can figure it out

Thanks for all the info guys!

~T.J.

For those wondering got it working, It was 180 off, and we had one plug wire incorrect on the distributor heh, sounds like a beast with only headers on it!

~T.J.