Thread: '79 Scout overhaul

Default '79 Scout overhaul

I have a 79 two wheel drive scout II with a Nissan 6-33 diesel engine.

This is what i have to put in it:
    GM 6.5l non-turbo out of a bread truck.

The rest of these parts come from a cucv:
    Transmission: TH-400, 3-speed automatic
    Transfer Case: NP-208
    Front Axle: Open Dana 60
    Rear Axle: GM 10.50 (14-bolt), w/ Detroit Locker

I have pretty much everything to put it all together like the hydrobooster, wiring harness, etc.
    Has anyone done this before? I'm looking for a step by step or any advice to help me with this endeavor.
    Is there anything I should be looking out for? Any problems anyone can foresee from doing this before?

Well, I've never done anything quite so in-depth before as far as changing and modifying the running gear like you're planning. I'm still running my original SD-33T diesel. I have done the upgrade to hydro-boost brakes though, and that was quite easy. The booster bolts right up to the firewall, and you can buy the brake lines to adapt them to your proportioning valve. I'm assuming you'll end up having to cut your axle though to make it fit under a scout. Saw it done once on a 4x4 show featuring a scout, don't know anything else about it. There is one guy on here that has a 6.5 gm diesel conversion in his scout in the classifieds; you might be able to ask him how he did most of it. His name is Fred Scritsmier.

The hydro-boost was one of my many concerns, as far as replaceing the proportioning valve, its good to know it all ties in. Thanks for your time and help

No problem. The only thing I ran into when I was changing the booster was that I had to shorten the plunger rod a couple of inches.

Hey Wrench, what are you going to do with that Nissan diesel engine when you get it out?

Yeah!!

(Interested peeps want to know! Might look good in my Scout!! . . . LOL )
    '06 Ram Cummins 3500 4x4 with all but 4 options. It has a few added on goodies and everything is 'Mega' sized!
    '73 1210 Travellete Cab: 392 is out of there and the Cummins 12V is lowering in there as you read this (I hope!)
    '76 Scout needing some work so it can be on the road also!

Default 79 Scout overhaul

Just my 2 cents.. Sell your rig, put all money together and do an overhaul..or just save up for a new rig.