Thread: steering

Default steering

I would like to change the signal cam in my 63 scout 80 does anyone know how to remove the steering wheel I am down to the ring with the two threaded screw holes puller or does it spin? Cant reach directional cam. Thanks

Default steering wheel removal

I see no one answered your question, I have the same one. Did you ever figure it out? I lost the freikin keys to mine so I have to disengage my steering wheel lock so I can wire a switch up.

If you have removed the large nut, the next thing I did was get a puller to remove the steering wheel. Then there will be a brass looking plate that is held in with a snap clip in a grove on the the steering shaft. The snap ring can be difficult to remove.

I built a small u-shaped plate that has a hole to fit over the steering shaft. The ends of the "U" are placed against the plate and the steering nut is placed back on the steering shaft and screwed down to depress the "brass" plate.

HH
    88888888HH8888888888 <------this is the brass plate
    x HH x
    x HH x <-- this is a cross section of the homemade plate
    xxxxxxx HH xxxxxxxx
    HH

The HH is the steering shaft

Disregard the xx and HH and such. The "picture" I was trying to create didn't transfer when I submitted the above reply.