Thread: Fuel Sending Unit Seal

Default Fuel Sending Unit Seal

'79 scout II Traveler 345 18g
    I need to replace the seal on the fuel sending unit as fuel runs out of it if the tank is above 3/4 tank. (fuel sloshes out when driving) The problem is I can't drop the tank down. The previous owner decided he wanted to have a reese hitch and the step bumper so he sliced together 2 hitches into one and welded it to the frame. Thus, I can't drop the fuel tank.
    My idea is to cut a 1' x 1' hole in the floor directly above the sending unit so I can pull it, replace the seal, and put it back in. I plan to cut it with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, so that I can make a removable panel out of the cutout.
    Does anyone have the measurements to center the hole over the sending unit?
    Anyone see a problem with my plan?

Thanks

Several problems...

Your sending unit in the tank is about 3.5 inches wide. 9 inches tall.

The clearence between the floor and the top of the tank is about 1.5-2 inches if I remember right. When you go to cut your hole you could cut the line. If your seal is bad, chance are your hoses need replacin as well.

One idea you might think about;

Cut the tank straps with tin snips and lower the tank. Replace all the hoses. Clean the sending unit replace gasket. Cap emissions.

Drill two holes in each tank strap (now will be 4 ends since you cut the twostraps ) SO you will have 8 holes total. Take two 4 inch peices of scrap metal comparale to your tank straps, drill the same holes in them. Use flush mount bolts on the tank side and bolt it all back up. While your tank is out, soak it in Sea Foam or equivelant and reseal it with POR-15. You can find it at a boat shop. I got a polyuerethene tank for 150 from Summit magazine, came with a new sending unit gasket.

When you go to fix your floor, rebuild it with a larger peice of sheet metal so if you ever need to get to the fuel gauge line or pull the unit again. You could use speed nuts and bolts to reassemble your cover.

Good luck man.

p.s. your gas tank has a sending unit hole impression on the rear bottom of the tank. That hole is on the exact oppisite place on top of your tank. Measure where it is on the bottom in relation to the rear part of the tank, then take a long punch and line it up with the front of the tank, make a small indention in your floor just big enough to see it on the top and measue the same distance as the hole on the bottom. When you cut your hole, go small at first to get your relation to the tank. The hole can be as big as you can make it because your gonna replace is with a panel anyhow...the smaller the better though.
    Last edited by 73ScoutDude; 09-03-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Re-read post-forgot to put in dimensions.

Your idea should work, but as noted be careful as not to cut the lines.
    I Timothy 1:12 "And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;"

JOE

There is noway to be able to drop the tank, even if I cut the tank straps. The previous owner welded a crossbar under the tank that helps to stabilize the hitch.
    I knew that the clearance between the tank and floor was close, that's why I was planning to use a jigsaw. The blade is 1" retracted and has a 1/2" of travel, so it will be close but I think it should work. If i cut a line, I can feed a new one in there right? There are 2 lines; one for fuel and one for vapor right? That's not counting the ones going the expansion tank in the driver's side wall.
    As for the seafoam, I use an once every tank to keep it running good, so the tank stays clean. The previous owner installed a stainless steel tank, so I don't have to worry about resealing the tank.