Thread: New to Scout Diesels

Default New to Scout Diesels

I am new to the Scout diesel world and was wondering what I should be on the lookout for with my engine. I have a 78 Scout II with the sd 33 (non turbo) and I know it is not original to my Scout. It looks like the PO added several different things and was wondering if I could get some engine bay pics of what one should look like. (having trouble finding them online). I would also like to know if there are any qwerks I should be on the lookout for. I have never owned a diesel of any kind, so this is a new adventure on all fronts. Thanks in advance.

There's a couple pix of mine on some of the earlier posts in the diesel section. If you need more specific ones I'd be more than happy to go get some; just let me know what specifically you want to see.

As far as what to look out for; they're pretty cold-blooded engines. Mine has never run over 200 degrees even on a warm day. You might want to run a compression check on your cylinders, as it's quite common for the head to crack between the valves. Cracks between the valves are within factory tolerances, but when I got mine it was also cracked from the valve out to the side of the head, so it's something to look for. Also you'll want to check your glow plugs. Mine is kind of an ether-baby because the glow plugs are bad. But if yours starts without much trouble, then they're probably OK.

These engines definitely weren't built for speed or high RPM's, either. Your top speed on the highway is probably going to be around 65-70 if you're lucky.

I was also trying to find out what the common oil leaks are. I bought the scout 2 days ago and checked the oil and there was none registering on the stick. I wound up adding a gallon and still not registering, but now my oil pressure gauge is giving me a reading as it was not before. I know these things are prone to having internal oil leaks, but I have not been able to find any definite info on what the possibilities could be, starting with the easiest to fix.

I had some loose hosing on mine for the turbo feed that leaked, but I fixed that and don't have any leaks at all now, but mine is also completely rebuilt. I can tell you that those engines take 3 full gallons of oil to register on the dipstick though. I put 3 gallons and 1 quart in and get 3 gallons out every change. The last quart is usually in the oil filter. You might be burning just a little bit depending on the mileage, but it shouldn't be "blue smoke burning" noticeable.

Congrats on your new rig!! These are awesome! I got to have one someday!

Please don't use ether! It is just bad for all diesels!! If you want I can go get you some pics of bent rods and such!! It is a real fast, easy way to tear up a perfectly good engine. If your glow plugs are bad it is real easy to test them and replace them! They are usually fairly cheap too.... That way you don't have to put up with an engine that won't start. A block heater will help with starts too. They are good for the engine in that it will be a little warmer when it starts compared to without it. This will help the oil not be so thick and help get the engine warmed up a little faster.

I got lots more 'advice' for you if you would want it..... (I just graduated from a diesel technical class!!) (And yeah, I got lots more info for you if you like!!)
    '06 Ram Cummins 3500 4x4 with all but 4 options. It has a few added on goodies and everything is 'Mega' sized!
    '73 1210 Travellete Cab: 392 is out of there and the Cummins 12V is lowering in there as you read this (I hope!)
    '76 Scout needing some work so it can be on the road also!

you can use ether. just have to watch the amounts.. you do not want to ether lock it.. we go though about a half a can just starting our pilling truck in the middle of summer. just keep that in mind...