Thread: messed around with distributor and now wont start

Default messed around with distributor and now wont start

im a new guy so bare with me..

I just bought a 74 scout II that has a 345. I picked it up yesterday. When starting it would take a cpl cranks and then would start and idle just fine. But when driving i could hear it cutting out or misfiring. So this morning i decided to look and make sure the plug wires were all ran correct, since the PO replaced them before I bought it. I was unable to find a diagram any where that shows where each wire goes,as well as what plug on the cap was number 1..when pulling the cap off, i moved the dist about half a turn because it obviously wasnt tight at all. Now I cant get it to start at all.
    The PO also installed a pertronix elec trigger instead of points.

can any one help me out????
    Thanks

Also I have the Holly Curved Points style Dizzy

Lennyg,

The firing order for a 345 is, 18436572.
    the drivers side front cylinder is #1. going back towards the firewall is 1, 3, 5 & 7.
    passenger side is 2, 4, 6 & 8.
    time your engine off of cylinder #8 .

hope this helps... Rob

Im pretty sure i have the plug wires correct..I just followed the no8 plug wire and went clockwise from there..
    But I still cannot get it to start..I pulled a plug wire off and put a spark plug on the block to make sure i was getting spark,I was. If it turn the dist counter clock wise to much it backfires thru the carb, to far clockwise and it acts like the batt is week,even though it is a brand new red top optima...

Any suggestions?
    Should i take the Pertronix out and put in normal points?

You should get a timing light and time it at 0 degrees BTDC off the number 8 cylinder after you verify that the wiring is in the right order. Block off the vacuum advance from the carb, cap the carb side. You will need somebody to turn the key for you while you check the timing if it is not running. Once you get it running, set it at 4 degrees @ 650 rpm and tighten down the nut holding the distributor body in place so it can't turn anymore. Tweek carb for best lean idle, then repeat the timing/idle set procedure (back and forth) at 4 degrees plus 1 degree for every 1200 feet of altitude at which you normally drive.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Talking

As Allen E said, set it to 0 on cylinder No 8.
    You can start by tapping the engine until you get the timing mark to TDC on the harmonic balancer. After you have it at 0, adjust the dist to point to No 8 wire, then follow the timing order I sent you.
    If the dist is not pointing at cylnder No 8, adjust so it is. If wires are too short, you can move then left or right as needed as long as they are in the same order and you are pointed at No 8 to start off of.

It should now start. Adjust your timing and your all good.

Thanks Rob