Thread: Backfire/ignition/carb problem on a 1973 scout II

Default Backfire/ignition/carb problem on a 1973 scout II

Hello all, I am new to this site and have a question/issue to ask. I own a 1973 Scout II that I've had for 10 years now. My scout is completly stock execpt for a ford style relay is installed on the firewall. The scout has sat for about 4 years. recently i had enough funding to get it running again. I installed a new battery, oil, starter, fuel filter, cap and plugs. She ran fine until recently i replaced the coil, new coil wires and switched from points to electronic ignition. I believe the distributor is a prestolite. It's the one without the window on it. She starts like a dream now, but when i put her in gear to go she starts choking through the carb and out the passenger side exhaust. My timing is spot on according to the chiltons that i got from the p.o.. all my connections to the igintion are good. I still need to rebuild the carb. If i do this will that help the backfire/choking or is it something more (i.e. stuck valve from sitting etc..)? Any help would be apprecaited.
    Thanks Brandon

Brandon,
    Sounds like you are the right track. Try reubuilding the carb as it really couldn't hurt. If it has sat for some time, it more then likely has a bunch of "gunk" built up in there.
    You say it spits when you start to drive? Does it spit when it is sitting still and you move the throttle? When you move the throttle, do you see fuel being squirted into the carb? If you do, how much and does it stop squirting during the movement partially through?

What kind of carb do you have? What kind of transmission and so forth?

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't spit when idling, or when i rev the engine with no load (in park/neutral). I think the pilot circuit isn't as clogged as the rest. I can say that when you pump it, it does not over flow with fuel so not a super fire hazard luckily. I am pretty sure that the accelerator (sp?) pump is clogged. When it drove before i replaced the ignition, it acted like it was gutless under acceleration, but was fine when it idled along or ran at low rpm. I can see fuel squirting into the carb so i know some is getting through. i haven't checked the filter to see how much it has caught, but the old beast doesn't act like it's starving out for fuel. I have the stock 2300 two barrel holley and a 727 transmission. I am planning on doing a cylinder compression/leak down test when i can afford to purchase a compression gauge that screws in. I have the kind you hold down in the sparkplug hole but while i feel it works fine on the old dirtbikes, i feel it may not be as reliable for this application.
    Last edited by 1973scoutII; 09-09-2009 at 04:16 AM.

Hey man, I am having the same kind of problem with a 304 and manual tranny. it started after 4 days of no use, and the scout starts and idles fine cold or warm. the problem is that is backfiring through the carburetor when i hit the gas pedal. and if i put it the scout on gear, it feels like i have only 1/2 or 1/3 of the motor running but i can hit the gas pedal and it will rev up all the way but backfiring. so i know that has and that is capable of delivering fuel but....

Please let me know your finding and if your scout if fixed now. what did you do? did you check the compression? did you rebuild your carb?
    I have a Holley 2bbl one.