Thread: Converting 345 from manual to auto trans: what am I missing?

Default Converting 345 from manual to auto trans: what am I missing?

The bolts that I got with the auto flexplate are much longer than those on the manual flywheel, and even the shorter bolts are too long with the parts that I have. I think I must be missing a spacer or something.

can you measure the bolts mine were little short things. right bolts?

The auto transmissions use a spacer between the crank shaft and flex plate. They also use a spacer between the starter and the bell housing.

yes but he has the flywheel spacer

The bolts should extend into the crankshaft about 3/4" or so. You can check the depth, but even an inch would be okay. IIRC, the spacer ring that goes between the crankshaft and the flex plate is about 1 3/4" thick, but it has been a few years.

Use thread sealer/loctite on the crank bolts. I think those holes go to the inside of the engine. I have never had a problem with the torque converter to flex plate bolts leaking, but if you feel you have to use loctite on those, brush it on to the base of the bolt. You probably don't want pieces of hardened loctite in your transmission fluid...

If the auto came as a complete package, you'll probably be okay, but there are two flex plate/torque converter combinations used on the Scout II w/727 auto. The mounting holes are spaced differently. If you picked up the parts separately, you'll want to check that out before installation.

Don't ask me how I found this out.
    Last edited by Allan E.; 09-14-2009 at 12:11 AM.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Ok, I have a Scout with an auto... I would like it to have a manual. Maybe we could work something out here!! I'm not at all against pulling it apart to get you some parts you would need!!
    '06 Ram Cummins 3500 4x4 with all but 4 options. It has a few added on goodies and everything is 'Mega' sized!
    '73 1210 Travellete Cab: 392 is out of there and the Cummins 12V is lowering in there as you read this (I hope!)
    '76 Scout needing some work so it can be on the road also!